How many batches at one time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrsmith

Reaction score
I just put my first batch in the fermentation tank over the weekend. I think I am hooked already. I am ready to start on another, but don't have enough fermentation tanks for that.

Just curious about how many batches you all have going at a single time? Are you all setting with multiple tanks fermenting over a given period or are you all just doing one at a time and waiting for it to get bottled before starting the next batch?

I only have two fermenters for 5 gallon batches and one 1 gallon carboy but I typically only have one going at a time. However, I keg and I don't secondary and only dry hop IPA's so my beer is out of the primary and into a keg to carb/age typically in 10 days to 3 weeks. I know there are benefits to leaving it in primary for longer but I just typically don't have the patience. Regardless, that can get me up to 15 gallons a month, and I don't drink it that fast so it works for me.

Before you invest in a bunch of extra equipment I'd suggest you find out how fast you go through the final product. I love brewing but with my other life obligations I only have time to brew once or twice a month and it takes me at least that long to drink a 5 gallon batch.

I usually have at least one going, sometimes two and three. For me, a lot of it depends on what I have in the fermentor. Some brews I leave in the fermentor for a month or more, so I have one or two pass through while one still sits. Others bottle condition for awhile also, so it's good to have "smaller" daily drinkers handy.

My biggest problem is, I don't know what to do with all of it lol. I love to brew, love the taste, and sampling all the styles etc, but not big on alcohol. I'm pushing 49 and I just can't do it like my younger years.

I usually have at least one going, sometimes two and three. For me, a lot of it depends on what I have in the fermentor. Some brews I leave in the fermentor for a month or more, so I have one or two pass through while one still sits. Others bottle condition for awhile also, so it's good to have "smaller" daily drinkers handy.

My biggest problem is, I don't know what to do with all of it lol. I love to brew, love the taste, and sampling all the styles etc, but not big on alcohol. I'm pushing 49 and I just can't do it like my younger years.

this is why i started brewing most of my beers around 4-5%. you can still get close to the same taste, and still cut down on the base malt. There is only a couple clones that i do to recipe. Wookie jack clone is the biggest. 8%

this is why i started brewing most of my beers around 4-5%. you can still get close to the same taste, and still cut down on the base malt. There is only a couple clones that i do to recipe. Wookie jack clone is the biggest. 8%

Completely agree with both of you. I've even stepped down to smaller batches like 1 or 2.5 gallons to keep brewing w/o having to drink 5 gallons before I can brew again. Still prefer to do 5 G batchs, just do less of them with a 1 year old in the house it's cut the time I have available anyways so it works for me.

I have 7 batches going right now, all brewed at different times. 6 1g fermenters and 1 5g fermenter. I really like alot of smaller batches because I can test all kinds of variables before applying a day and more money to a big batch.

I have had as many as 12 different beers in (what was left) bottles. 4 five gallon batches of beer and 3 wines all at the same time.

Right now I have 3 beers and 3 wines fermenting. What's left of 2 beers in bottles and 2 in kegs. Plus a failed brew that is good enough for making beer bread.

I have 4 going right now.

IMG_1207.jpg

I have 5 fermenting and 3 on tap. I recently got the 20 gal Brew-Boss system. It is awesome to knock out 2 or 3 different beers in 1 brew day just by changing yeast and dry hopping.
5 is my max, 1 lager and 4 ales or visa versa.

1 in extended aging, 1 on tap, .5 in cold crash, 1 ending primary fermentation. So 3.5 right now. I usually do 10 gallon batches and usually split them between yeasts, so if you wanted to count only "five gallon" batches, I guess I have 7 in various places in the pipeline.

And next Friday is brewday!

Usually one in primary at a time, but right now I've got 2 batches of brew chugging away, and some ciders and wine in secondary. Taking advantage of temps before the summer comes.

I have 9 fermenters full right now. Of those 5 are long term sours that are in various stages of aging. The other 4 are shorter turn around beers.

5 carboys full of sours... isn't it pretty?

image.jpg

I have 2 on tap, 5 cases bottled and 3-5g buckets fermenting. I built my fermentation chamber originally for 1 bucket at a time, but added a new wall to it to accommodate 2 buckets. I have since started brewing a 5g and 3 gl batches at the same time,(2 different styles). Helps keep the pipeline full.

I have 10 kegs, and have had them all in use simultaneously before. However, my pipeline ran a little close to dry through the winter, so I'm getting back into it now. I have 2 fermentation chambers, so I can have 2 batches actively fermenting simultaneously, but after a week or so, they can come out and "rest" at room temperature (and another batch can go into each chamber). At the moment, I have 3 beers that are in kegs, fully carbed, and I've been drinking for a while, plus one batch I just kegged 2 nights ago and is currently carbing/clearing. I have 2 more in carboys that are "resting" and are ready to go into kegs, and one more that is actively fermenting (brewed it last weekend). Planning 2 more brews this weekend. I'm trying to fill the kegs back up for summer BBQ season.

I have three fermenters, two going at the moment. That's probably adequate for me. What I really need is a couple more kegs for longer term aging. I also have 6 cases of empty bottles sitting around.

Typically one at a time, but on occasion I've had a couple going.
My problem is trying to drink it all without becoming an alchy.
I typically brew 3 gallon batches and have a couple 3 gallon kegs to fill.
I have Reaper's Mild tapped right now, but Cream of 3 Crops has been waiting to be tapped for a few weeks now.

I have (4) 5 gallon buckets, (2) 7.8 gallon buckets, (5) 5 gallon carboys and (13) 5 gallon kegs. I typically do 15 gallon batches and have 4-5 batches in various stages from fermenting to serving in the 6 tap keezer.

I'm not addicted, I can stop at any time, really...

I'll throw in...

3 - 5 gallon buckets
1 - 6 gallon carboy
1 - 3 gallon bucket
1 - 3 gallon carboy

At any given time I'll have 2 - 3 buckets going (mostly 3) and a cider going in the big carboy. The half-batch fermentors are reserved for experimental batches.

I drink most of my beer. I go thru 5-ish gallons about in a 4-6 weeks. I have more than one batches going at different stages all the time. That way I have selection and don't worry about running out of beer. I also do one gallon batches and three gallon batches.

I have four 5+ gallon fermentation vessels and several 1 gallon fermentation vessels.

Some beers finish faster than others. You also might age some beer. To build up a pipeline beer the first thing to get is more fermentation vessels. Of course then you want more bottles and/or kegs.... then you want more ingredients....then you want.....

well just let me say welcome to the hobby!

7 - ~5 gallon batches of long term sours
1 - 3 gallon batch of fruited sour
5 - 5 gallon batches of beer
1 - 5 gallon batch of apfelwine
2 - 5 gallon batches of white wine (Cali 2015 fall harvest)
2 - 6 gallon batches of red wine (Chile 2016 spring harvest)
2 - 7 gallon batches of red wine (Chile 2015 spring harvest)

you're all wrong

The correct answer is not enough.

As is with most "how much" questions regarding brewing

I have 2 five gallon batches fermenting right now. Also had a 3 gallon in there, but bottled last weekend. I always like to have at least 2 going to keep the pipeline full and options on what to drink.

I could do three.... but I've only done two at a time - and since they're 10 gallon batches, I usually only do one to keep the pipeline full.

I have 5 carboys, and usually 3-4 are full at any point. I try to schedule my lagers and ales so my 2 fermentation fridges can accommodate them.

I have had two going at once. Now that I keg and 4 kegs I have a decent pipeline so now I do about 1 batch ever other week to once a month. Depends on how many friends I have over to share it with. :mug:

I just put my first batch in the fermentation tank over the weekend. I think I am hooked already. I am ready to start on another, but don't have enough fermentation tanks for that.

Just curious about how many batches you all have going at a single time? Are you all setting with multiple tanks fermenting over a given period or are you all just doing one at a time and waiting for it to get bottled before starting the next batch?

You what would do?

two batches.jpg

I have 1- 20gal. conical, 1- 14 gallon conical and 3- 6.5 gallon carboy fermenters with room in my fermentation chambers for them all. I usually brew 15 gallon batches, but if I get in a pinch I can brew a 10 gal. batch to help catch up. Almost never use the carboys...

The most I've ever had at once is five, but I stick to one at a time, twice a month now. Less money and I don't end up with too much stock that might be kept past its prime.

I have 10 carboys and they're all full currently, mostly wild/sour. I'm in the market for another 3 gallon and 6 gallon carboy for clean beers.

2 - 7 gallon
6 - 6 gallon
4 - 5 gallon
6 - 3 gallon
1 - 2.5 gallon
9 - 1 gallon

I do a lot of wine that needs ageing, and it needs somewhere to live. This will help now that I'm looking to get into sours.

I incorrectly assumed that this was about how many beers do you brew at the same time and not how many batches you have fermenting at the same time. We have 2 young children that are special needs so having 4-6 hours of free time to brew is pretty tough to find. Thus, I have brewed 4 different beers at the same time with each separated by 30-40 minutes. It takes me 8 hours including clean up but I can get a lot done when I get those rare open days for brewing. This week is in between teaching terms so I have now brewed 8 different 5 gallon brews and will do 4 more before the end of the week. This will carry us through the summer and into the fall with some higher gravity beers saved for winter. So my maximum bucket list has been 16 different 5 gallon brews fermenting at one time. I can get cranky going for several months w/o brewing.

Only have two fermentors usually do 10-12 gallon split batches. Nothing revolutionary just lets me figure out stuff like there's no reason to use WB06 and US05 is popular for a reason.

10-12 gallons a month is plenty.

I currently have batches in all of my fermenting vessels.

4 glass carboys
2 PET carboys
1 bucket fermenter
1 conical FastFerment

I guess I could technically ferment in my bottling buckets, so maybe I have some more brewing to do.

Four of those batches are long-term aging sours, one is an oat wine and another is an old ale that are both getting extended aging. So, I only have 2 batches that are likely to get bottled and be ready to drink any time in the near future (a IIPA and a Bier de Mars).

So, yeah.

If you just finished your first brew and are anxious to do another. Just go buy yourself another fermenter. Or at least keep an eye on Northern Brewer or other online places that frequently offer specials. I got my 2 PET carboys that way as a BOGO offer.

I received some good replies and there is a large variety of brews in process it seems. Maybe I should try a couple smaller 1 gallon kits while I am waiting on my 5 gallon batch do its thing. Good idea of doing the smaller 1 gallon to get a wider variety of samples. My brewing kit I purchased used came with several 1 gallon class containers with air locks.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I had 10 going at one point for this years homebrewing championship in Denmark. Normally though between 1 and 4.

i typically brew (2) 5 gallon batches on the same day. With the right set up, i can do both all grain with just an extra 1.5 hours added to the brew day. When those are ready to keg, i start another two. When i make my wookie jack clone, it sits in secondary for 2 months. So when its going, i typically have 3 fermenters in my chamber

Back