How low can it go / Pacman Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today's IPA is off because my sack of 2-row didn't make it here. I have the grains for a Munich Dunkel, but not the lager yeast. So, I'm going to do a Dead Guy Dark and ferment low with Pacman. Looking at other recipes like Yuri's, but can't find how low I can go with Pacman.

The question; how low have you gone with Pacman Yeast?

48*F is as low as I have gone with the Pacman Wyeast 1764
Damn! That's lower than I thought.
If the yeast didn't know any better you could call that a lager.
How was the attentuation and how long did it take to finish?
Thanks.

:off:
Just got back from a long walk in the snow covered woods with the dogs.
It's going to be a late brewday, but worth it.
Too nice out there to be cooped up all day.

Damn! That's lower than I thought. If the yeast didn't know any better you could call that a lager. Thanks.

Just got back from a long walk in the snow covered woods with the dogs. It's going to be a late brewday, but worth it. Too nice out there to be cooped up all day.

I'm brewing a BoPils today, triple decoction. Indoors of course! What's your recipe for the dunkel?

I'm brewing a BoPils today, triple decoction. Indoors of course! What's your recipe for the dunkel?
BoPils? Had to Google that to find your recipe.
Sound delicious!
Triple decoction. Could be a long day.
You must still be at it?

Since this is an unplanned thing, my Dunkel is going to be a potluck recipe. I usually use only Munich and a long decoction boil to darken it, or sometimes a little Carafa Special when I'm lazy. Don't have enough Munich, so today it'll be 50% Munich, 45% Pils and 5% Carafa Special I. Might do a decoction mash-out if it's not getting too late. Hop with German Tett.

At the pace I’m moving at. It’ll be lucky if I mash in by 3:00. :eek:

I've fermented pacman down to 50-55F about a dozen times now and it does quite well, though is a bit slower than usual. Makes a pretty good pseduo-lager.

I'm brewing a BoPils today, triple decoction.

Brewing a bohemian dunkel today - triple decoction too! Though outside, in the nice balmy 15F weather. Should be fun! :)

Brewing a bohemian dunkel today - triple decoction too! Though outside, in the nice balmy 15F weather. Should be fun! :)
By the time my brew stuff was clean and back in its place in the basement, it was almost 10:00pm. Call me a pansy, but I wouldn't trade my kitchen set-up for your 15 degree outdoor brewing.

Thanks for all the help on using Pacman for a lager-like brew. For the most part, I'll treat it as though it was lager yeast throughout the fermentation and lagering. Pitched at 60 degrees and put it in the fermenter set at 48. This morning it's at 56 and has positive pressure in the airlock. Hoping to get it into the low 50's before it get too active.

How did anyone elses Pacman "lagers" turn out? Could you tell the difference between it and a true lager if you didn't know?

Kept it in the low 50's for eight days. Let it slow raise to low 60' and kept it there for another two weeks. Cold crashed at 33 degrees for three days. Kegged and will let it cold condition for a month (or as long as I can wait.)

Quick carbed a half gallon in a PET bottle with a carbonation cap using the purge and shake method. Very impressed! Enough so that I bottled a couple and sent them to a local competition in the Dark Lager / Munich Dunklel category. More time would have helped this beer, but getting a blind opinion from a judge should be an interesting way to see if you can make a lager-like beer from Pacman.

Back