How Long??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asshauler

Reaction score
How long should/would you let a stout rye ale ferment before moving into the secondary? I am somewhat of a new brewer and I have done all my homework in making my recipe but have seen many variations from 3-4 days to 10. Is a longer fermentation better? Worse? Make it bitter, flat, etc.. Fill me in guys I need help!

I rack to secondary after the krausen falls. Others count airlock bubbles to 30+ second burps which usually happens later than krausen drop.

Personally, each time I rack after the krausen drops I'm usually pretty close to end gravity within .005 pts or so. Then let it sit in the secondary for 2 weeks + unless you are dry-hopping then I'd recommend no more than 2 weeks with hops in there.

I'm with dB...I wait till the krauzen falls, and by then the bubbles are usually down till less than 1 per minute. That could be anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks or more.

Back