How long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bairsbrewing

Reaction score
Ok, I was going to brew a lager on Saturday night so I smacked the wyeast pack and life happened. Now it's Tuesday night and still haven't brewed. Should I toss the yeast and buy another? The most I've ever gone is two days after activating. How long have you gone? Am I good? The yeast is in my garage at a cool temp of 50 degrees. It's still very solid and doesn't seem to have lost and swelling. Thoughts?

Bigger, stronger, darker!

I would pitch it into a starter. That buys you a few days and you will have a healthy start for brew day.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would pitch it into a starter. That buys you a few days and you will have a healthy start for brew day.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Especially good advice, assuming a 5 gallon batch, since one smack pack is a pretty severe underpitch for a lager.

Other than that, it would probably be ok. That smackpack is really just a marketing device: it does little more than (maybe) indicate viability.

One pack is nowhere near enough yeast for a true lager.

Take that pack, check mrmalty.com and make a starter. It is ok but needs to be stepped up for your lager.

It just indicates the yeast are alive and haven't been cooked to death during shipping or poor storage. Those things are not mini-starters as many people say.

That being said, I hope you were planning on making a starter for your lager. You will need a ton of yeast for a lager. So that would be my advice, go make a starter, it will buy you time and help make a better beer.

Some facts to consider:
5 gallon lager SG @ 1.054 would need 400 billion cells at pitch.

Smack pack that is very fresh and perfect health: 96 billion cells

3-liter starter with a stir plate (JZ formula) with net you ~370 billion cells. A slight underpitch, but probably fine.

3-liter starter with intermittant shaking will net you ~300 billion cells

3-liter starter with no treatment will net you ~250 billion cells

I always recommend using a yeast starter calculator before brewing (days before). So go ahead and make that starter.

Ok, good to know on lager pitch rates. I guess that I will have to do something different next time. I just pitched what I had without making a starter. Hopefully it will just take longer to ferment. That being said, what should it look like during fermentation? This is my first lager.

Bigger, stronger, darker!

Back