How long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendermallot

Reaction score
I have a 1 gallon bottle of Unfiltered Apple juice sitting in my house. I pitched some Nottingham into it 4 weeks ago. I don't see much, if any action left in it at all. Do I just let it sit under airlock until it clears up? How long is an unfiltered juice going to take to clear?

Any help would be great!

oh, it's the Whole Foods AJ you get in the 1gal bottle, if that helps anyone.

Ciders normally take 4-6 weeks to clear.

I have had some clear in 3, and others clear in over 6, but from what I have gathered, ciders have about a 4-6 week clearing time.

I've got a gallon of Whole Foods 365 juice that has been going for 5 months and is still cloudy.

The Whole Foods 365 apple juice is pasteurized. From what I've read, heat pasteurization "sets" the pectin and it will not clear, even with pectin enzyme. The cider I made from WF 365 apple juice in November is still cloudy. I did not use pectin enzyme.

By the way, this juice does not seem to be blended for batch-to-batch consistency. I bought some of it a month ago. The bottles had a "use-by" date stamped on the lid that was one week later than what was stamped on the lids from my November batch. The earlier juice was pale and more acidic-tasting than the later juice, which was darker and had more apple flavor. One should expect variation in a natural product, so I am not complaining. I am just warning that the this juice has a lot more variation than, say Mott's.

I have a 5 gallon batch of cider made from pasteurized juice. It was done fermenting
3/7, and has been clearing gradually, from top to bottom, in the carboy. It is now cryastal clear about 3/4 of the way down. I haven't added anything to it to help it clear. This attenuated down to 0.996 with Lalvin K1V-116 and is bone dry and tastes like a white wine. I plan to wait until fully clear and prime and bottle.

I can't speak for unfiltered juice, though.

The Whole Foods 365 apple juice is pasteurized. From what I've read, heat pasteurization "sets" the pectin and it will not clear, even with pectin enzyme. The cider I made from WF 365 apple juice in November is still cloudy. I did not use pectin enzyme.

It all depends on what temperature pasteurization is done at. My 365 juice is slowly clearing (very slowly), but it is clearing. I started it in October.

Back