how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendermallot

Reaction score
I have two bottles fermenting currently. My 5 gallon of PomApfelwein is going crazy but I have a small 1 gallon of unfiltered AJ that I just pitched some Notingham into and let go. It's getting really slow, almost unnoticeable. I only started it last Saturday but I was curious how long I should leave it in the jug before I check the SG again.

How long do you think the primary will take to finish? It was straight juice and yeast, no sugar. started around 1.054 OG

Well it is really up to you. I know I've a batch of cider I will be bottling this weekend after 4-5 weeks. It is about to the clarity I like it. I used Ed's recipe with a little modification. I really think you should wait to bottle for about 3-4 weeks minimum. Start a another batch halfway through. My wife keeps bugging me to make more. She blasted through the last batch I made.

will an unfiltered juice clarify nicely? I am guessing it might take longer... I realize that it's very very early in the process. But I was just trying to get an idea about how long a single gallon would take.

I would imagine, if you give it long enough, the solids will flocculate out of it, same as the yeast does. It just might take a while...

Of course, you could always just filter it once fermentation is complete. Or cold crash it to get things to settle out. Do you intend to have this carbonated? If you do, then you'll probably want to read up on cold crashing and how carbonating the results will work. I've not done it, yet, so I'm uncertain there.

will an unfiltered juice clarify nicely? I am guessing it might take longer... I realize that it's very very early in the process. But I was just trying to get an idea about how long a single gallon would take.

Eventually it will clear out, yes. People have success with gelatin to clear too.

My ciders were pretty clear after a few months.. Cold crashing was part of my process though

I'm going to bottle it, most likely. I'm really new so the whole kegging thing is a bit beyond my capabilities atm. I do want to carb it as well.

How does the gelatin thing work? Once the gelatin solidifies does it settle out with the lees?

For reference, I was just messing around with the extremely unfiltered juice sold in glass bottles (why I bought them...) at Whole Foods under their 365 brand. Looking at the juice and during fermentation I figured there was no way it would clear easily, but after two days cold crashing on the porch it cleared up nicely.

did you keg or bottle that? I was thinking of letting it ferment out all the way. Cold crashing it to get the cloudy out. then letting it warm up a bit before bottling.

Latest posts

Back