How long will bottled beer last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
How long will bottled beer last?

The kind you put dissolved sugar in right before bottling.

I'd imagine not as long as wine, since you aren't adding sulphites, although the CO2 would act as somewhat of a preservative.

Will it last say 6 months - 1 year?

TIA

I'd say yes,in the case of higher gravity beers. They need longer to carb & condition anyway. Like stouts,barleywines,that sort of thing. Average to medium gravity beers,not so much. Like pale ales & wheat beers.

To put it in perspective, in the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revisiting-my-classics-160672/

Some beers are meant to be drunk young, some need to be aged. Some will peak and go down hill, but they won't necessarily go bad, they'll just be different.

I recently tried a 18mo beer I stored and it tasted great.

I drank a 27 y/o beer in Belgium. It was brewed for a grand opening of a fancy hotel in Ghent. The hotel went bust well before the beer.
It was unbelievable.

if youre storing beers should you keep them in the fridge, or will a dark place suffice?

A cool, dark place is best, preferably where the temperature doesn't cycle / change all that much. That's why cellars are famous places to store beer and wine. Also caves and the like, assuming you have access to a big old hole in the ground.

A lot of established old-world beers are explicitly described as 'best served at cellar temperature'. Not 'cold', not 'chilled', but 'cellar temperature'.

Beer as we know it has been around for centuries; fermented beer-like brews have been around for millenia -- long before Carnot established the rules that lead to the development of modern refrigeration.

So, store your beers like we've been doing for thousands of years, without power, and without products made by Amana, Whirlpool, GE, Frigidaire or the like: Someplace cool, dark, and easily accessible.

...or bury them under your south pole shanty. One team found a bunch of cases of English ale under theirs! It was,I think,100 years old. Some brewing company is having some it anylized to figure out a recipe from those days.

I have a crawl space in my downstairs room where the temp remains a steady 60 degrees year round, Ive got some beers stored there for the last year or so and drink them on a regular bases and they taste great.

And in case of a natural disaster, nuclear fallout, alien invasion, or wanting to hide from the misses and just get blindly drunk I have a place to hideout..

Types of beer,and OG have alot to do with long term storage. IPA's Hefes, don't stay within "style" long term yeast and hop note fade over time and malt starts to come forward. Will it be drinkable most likely yes, will it taste the same NO...my.......02

Back