How long to stir before pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am an old school guy and I just dont care about airstones and pumps to aerate wort.... I figure if I got two arms and a spoon, I can do the same job (and I even own pumps and airstones).. Anyway, my question is , how long do you stir your wort before adding the yeast? I have been stirring for 5 to 8 minutes, non stop.. You reckon that's sufficient?

A while back, Bobby_M did an aeration experiment:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/definitive-aeration-oxygenation-experiment-20832/index2.html

I don't know if it will directly answer your question, but it might and it will give you some good anecdotal evidence on which aeration procedure is most beneficial.

I personally use an airstone and aquarium pump while I clean equipment (so about 30 minutes) and my wort is foamy when I pitch the yeast. That's good enough for me, so I never tried anything else.

wow- That's it? How long is your lag time? Do I have a little overkill going here?

Well, yesterday was a big brew day with 12 gallons each of ale and lager started. I pitched the lager at 3 pm yesterday from a quart or two of starter, and the ale at 4 pm from a Wyeast smack pack (yes, I know, they're only supposed to be good for 5 gallons). I split each batch between two 6.5 gallon carboys. One carboy of lager was going strong at 5 am today so I moved it to the cellar. The other three carboys were going by noon.

When I used to stir, I set a timer and stirred for 5 minutes straight...that way it fully integrated the wort and water, and my OG reading was accurate...plus the wort got plenty of foam so I figured it was getting plenty of oxygen...

And they appeared to...

(Of course now I SOOOO love my O2 canister and airstone, stirring for 5 minutes is a real PITA)

I usually stir like mad for about 5 minutes while cooling the wort down with the cooling coil. The stirring brings the wort down to temps within about 5 minutes, as soon as its at temp (70 usually) I transfer to my vessel and pitch.

I frequently have fermentation starting pretty quickly, and I've never had a batch get contaminated.

I use a Squirrelmixer paint mixer. I put it in the wort for 45 seconds 3-5 times, until I have a big frothy head. My lag time on my last batch was 2 hours before I saw activity. Cleaning it is easy, put it in a bucket of cleanup water and spin it for about 15 seconds, and you're done.

Squirrel Mixer 5 Gallon PolyPro Mixer

I liked watching fermentation in carboys, but transferring the wort from the kettle is a PITA. I now pour vigorously from the kettle to a bucket, and get a huge froth. I've never had issues with a slow start when pouring this way and using an appropriate starter. Why waste the money on O2 or an aquarium pump?

When I used to stir, I set a timer and stirred for 5 minutes straight...that way it fully integrated the wort and water, and my OG reading was accurate...plus the wort got plenty of foam so I figured it was getting plenty of oxygen...

And they appeared to...

(Of course now I SOOOO love my O2 canister and airstone, stirring for 5 minutes is a real PITA)

So should i be taking my OG AFTER I stir in the 02? Is it more accurate when taken in aerated wort?

So should i be taking my OG AFTER I stir in the 02? Is it more accurate when taken in aerated wort?

Well it's not so much in the case of the OG that it is aerated, it is that it is mixed together well...it just happens to be that in the thoroughly mixing the wort, you have aerated it.

You are getting two for the price of one...Well mixed wort (which give you a more accurate reading if you are doing a top off with water batch) and a well aerated wort.

I use one of those slotted paddle thingies from my lhbs to do it with...

Well, I guess I dont really need to stir my wort from 5 to 8 minutes, after reading this post.. But then, I know it works, I've been doing it for years, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.. Sounds like LOTs of things work to aerate your wort.. And after reading the post on the Ultimate Aeration Experiment, I feel a little more relaxed....I must say though, the tennis ball idea sounds pretty awesome.. I am guessing you just put it under the carboy and rock the s**t out of it? Thanks guys, as usual....

My "brew mate" and I accidentally found an interesting way to aerate. It's probably the hardest way possible. We had a lot of grain residue left over after the boil so when we went to put the chilled wort into the glass carboy we put a steel mesh filter over the top of a funnel. He poured and I wiped the grain off the top of the mesh filter. Afterwards, we had about a four-inch thick head. I gave it a shook anyways just to be sure. Which brings me to a noob question, does it matter if you shake the carboy after you pitch the yeast?

I now pour vigorously from the kettle to a bucket, and get a huge froth.

I do too, but I pour it through one of these:
41VHEYHN49L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It keeps hops out of the fermenter too.

My "brew mate" and I accidentally found an interesting way to aerate. It's probably the hardest way possible. We had a lot of grain residue left over after the boil so when we went to put the chilled wort into the glass carboy we put a steel mesh filter over the top of a funnel. He poured and I wiped the grain off the top of the mesh filter. Afterwards, we had about a four-inch thick head. I gave it a shook anyways just to be sure. Which brings me to a noob question, does it matter if you shake the carboy after you pitch the yeast?

It doesn't matter if you shake after adding yeast, at least from what I have read.. I don't do it personally..I aerate, pitch, then give it a little shake, but nothing to crazy....

Back