How long to make/carbonate prosecco?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kzang

Reaction score
I bottled my 2nd ever homebrew a week ago (Imperial Blonde) and I was thinking about trying wine.

I know "champagne" takes like a year to carbonate. How long would it take for a prosecco to make and carbonate? Since it isn't carbonated as much as a champagne, I would think it would take a lot less time?

Also, is it even worth to make your own wine? I would think it would be difficult to get a quality product since grapes are more difficult to buy, and extract would seem to be less quality and etc?

Wine is easy and you can be much more creative with ingredients. 'Champagne' referrs to only wines made from that region of France. Sparkling wines,.however, are very similar to beer making. A really easy and tasty one to start is 'sparkling white grape peach'. There's a good thread/recipe on here if you search. I've also done it with cranberry to add a little tartness that it was lacking.

As for the time it takes to carbonate, its about the same as beer (2wks). Usually you age the wines in the bottle anyway so the time is rarely an issue.

Hope this helps, good luck!!!

I bottled my 2nd ever homebrew a week ago (Imperial Blonde) and I was thinking about trying wine.

I know "champagne" takes like a year to carbonate. How long would it take for a prosecco to make and carbonate? Since it isn't carbonated as much as a champagne, I would think it would take a lot less time?

Also, is it even worth to make your own wine? I would think it would be difficult to get a quality product since grapes are more difficult to buy, and extract would seem to be less quality and etc?

Champagne uses long sur lee aging, the actual carbonation only takes a few months before it's disgorged. Prosecco would take about as long, the idea of being able to make a product of similar quality to Prosecco and save money is probably a bit far fetched. Unlike beer it is very much about grape quality and harvesting dates, something most home winemakers don't have control over.

Back