How long to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakehipsbrodie

Reaction score
Bottled my beer two weeks ago come Monday, used two tea spoons of caster sugar as advised for a 750ml bottle. Opened one last night and was still flat as a pancake. Had a slight amount of smoke coming out on opening.
How long should I wait before I open more?

3 weeks at 70-75*F. If they are colder, put the bottles some place warmer.

Watch this the whole way through -

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah man! 31 days!? I can't wait that long! Thanks for the info, guess I just need to play the waiting game.

Also, higher-ABV beers can take longer to carbonate as well. Not sure where yours is on the scale, just FYI.

Did you shake the bottles, or is all the sugar sitting on the bottom?

People often say 2-3 weeks, but it doesn't work out that way for me. I cracked a Scottish 80 tonight I bottled a month ago and I would say it is getting close to being ready.

Sugar was sitting at the bottom so gave em all a shake. There was a hiss when opened and slight head but no fizz. Here's hoping.

My last batch was a honey wheat beer. After about 2 to 3 weeks they weren't flat, but weren't well carbonated. So I just left them sitting. I popped one open last week...they've been sitting for a few months now...and it was much more carbonated. I know it's hard to resist the temptation, but you just have to have some will power.

Two weeks at room temp was usually plenty for my bottled brew. Had only one batch that was unusual, that was Waldo Lake Amber. I think it was the only batch I didn't stir the primed beer before bottling.

I keg now but the two heavy beers I've made so far, an aged RIS and a Wee Heavy, seemed to take longer to carb even on gas.

People often say 2-3 weeks, but it doesn't work out that way for me. I cracked a Scottish 80 tonight I bottled a month ago and I would say it is getting close to being ready.

Are you keeping them around 70-75° F?

Carbonation & conditioning are two different things.

Pardons if I didn't know you were talking about conditioning, I was assuming carbonation due to the thread's title.

:eek:

Maltier beers definitely can go for longer conditioning times. When I made BM's Centennial Blonde, they were drinkable at 2 weeks, not green at all but the last ones I had at 5 weeks were definitely even better.

As I mentioned in my last post, I've had beers that were carbonated & not green at all at 2 weeks.

*shrug*

It's a coors light extract I've brewed so dark brown. Just looking for info on how long it takes to get bubbles in the amber nectar.

Back