How long to boil ?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I'm going to brew using Partial Mash Technique .

O.G. = 1.052

I'll get 22 Gravity points from 2-row pale malt , another 22 gravity points from DME and 8 points from Crystal and roasted malts .

How long should I boil it ? 60 or 90 Minutes ?!

Hector

hector said:
Hi there !

I'm going to brew using Partial Mash Technique .

O.G. = 1.052

I'll get 22 Gravity points from 2-row pale malt , another 22 gravity points from DME and 8 points from Crystal and roasted malts .

How long should I boil it ? 60 or 90 Minutes ?!

Hector

Are you saying the OG will be 1.052? That is not a high enough OG to need a 90 minute boil. A longer boil is usually desired to increse hop bitterness or a couple other reasons. Like a RIS with an OG of 1.100 and 100 IBUs, for example, would be something you would want to boil for 90 minutes.

Unless you need to concentrate the wort (large grain bill), are looking to get some kettle caramelization, or you just mashed a bunch of pils malt, a 60 minute boil is fine. If you have more than a little bit of the pils malt in there, a 90 minute boil is usually recommended.

You'll be fine with 60 minutes.

Why is longer better? If you are not trying to drive off DMS, or extract every last microgram of alpha acid, is there really any benefit? I see potential unwanted effects (darkening, astringency from specialty grains, excess uncontrolled melanoidin/maillard production etc) nor to mention time. Do you notice that it helps your beers?

Thanks for the Replies .

Batch Vol. = 0.85 Gallons

O.G. = 1.052

I'm going to use 11 Ounces of 2-row pale malt and 6.5 Ounces of DME .

So , you think with these amounts , a 60-Minute-Boil is enough ?

Hector

Why is longer better? If you are not trying to drive off DMS, or extract every last microgram of alpha acid, is there really any benefit? I see potential unwanted effects (darkening, astringency from specialty grains, excess uncontrolled melanoidin/maillard production etc) nor to mention time. Do you notice that it helps your beers?

Some benefits:

Drives off oxygen
Helps with coagulation
Lowers PH
Increases maillard reactions
Higher SRM
Virtually no DMS

Most importantly, it allows me to bottle a batch and transfer another. One-day brew days and I get everything done. I am also hop bursting so I can start my boil and I have 1 hour and 40 minutes before I have to do anything. I found it makes some beers better or does nothing detrimental. Its a great way to create better balance in a hoppy low ABV beer as well.

60 minutes is fine. There is no reason to boil longer. Although there is marginally better hop utilization with a longer boil, almost all recipes are written and tested for 60min. If you want more bittering, add a bit more hops. Likewise, if you want to add more color or flavor to your beer, a smidgen of the right malt (i.e., melanoiden malt) will do the same.

I can't imagine any reason to change the boil time for a bigger (i.e., higher OG) beer.

I'd recommend a 90min boil when using pilsner malts, unless you can sustain an extremely vigorous boil for 60min. The reason for this is to drive off the DMS precursers (SMM) that are found in much higher levels in these lightly-kilned malts. I had a friend that made a beer that tasted just like creamed corn - it was horrible - due to very high DMS. I don't do 90 but I do drive the boil very hard and accomplish the same thing (at least so far). This is the only good argument for boiling for longer than 60min. Read here for more info on that.

I can't imagine any reason to change the boil time for a bigger (i.e., higher OG) beer.

Hmm. My mash efficiency suffers considerably if I have a huge grain bill but I'm shooting for the same preboil volume as a "normal" OG beer. Less sparge water = less efficient extraction. So increasing boil time allows me to increase the preboil volume and therefore the sparge water volume. And that can really help.

I was under the impression that this was a fairly standard way to help keep efficiency up on high OG beers :confused:

Hmm. My mash efficiency suffers considerably if I have a huge grain bill but I'm shooting for the same preboil volume as a "normal" OG beer. Less sparge water = less efficient extraction. So increasing boil time allows me to increase the preboil volume and therefore the sparge water volume. And that can really help.

I was under the impression that this was a fairly standard way to help keep efficiency up on high OG beers :confused:

Yep, you got me there. I boil longer all the time for exactly that reason (sparge more, boil more). Sorry, I didn't think about that.

Thanks for pointing that out. I need more coffee I guess.

Theoretically you can get away with a 20 minute boil if you are not concerned with hop utilization or concentrating your wort. Maybe even 15 minutes. I haven't tried it, but its possible.

Just add more hops to get the bitterness. People make IPA's all the time using hop burst techniques by adding all the hops on the last 20-30 minutes.

Be aware of the negatives of a very short boil though before you try it.

Randy Mosher talks about two hour boils as a workaround to decoction mashes. It will create a "maltier" wort if that is something you are after. No need for extra grains...

Back