How long till I move to the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CourtHouseBrewing

Reaction score
I have a Pilsner that is in a fermentation chamber two weeks now at 50oF to 53oF. I still see some slow bubbles coming from the bottom. I am afraid to open it to check the gravity. The OG was 1.037 or a Brix of 9.6, I want to go to a secondary and use the yeast for my next brew this weekend. Is it to soon to move it and use the yeast? I want to do my first all grain and thought I read the used yeast would be great for this. It is a Bee Cave Haus Pale ale I thought I would do for the first all grain. I read I can just leave the yeast in the carboy from the pilsner and put the new wort on top. Do I still add fresh yeast too? What do you Lager guys think. This is my first Pilsner Lager.
Thanks.:confused:

Using lager yeast for an ale? What temp are you planning on fermenting the pale ale at? I would reccomend getting diffrent yeast for your ale. Unless you wanna do another lager and pitch it on you current yeast. I wouldnt reccomend using your lager yeast at ale temps. You could make the PA recipe and ferment as a lager if you want, could be interesting :)

I used Safale-05 with the Bee Cave Haus Pale and it turned out great. I would save the lager yeast for a later batch.

I just don't think I'm at the point I feel I can successfully save yeast yet. I have read a bunch and watch a lot of YouTube about it. I just would hate to brew a bad batch because I messed up the yeast save. I do have some Safale -05 in the fridge so I think I’ll use that and keep the Pilsner in the chamber for another week and then do another Pilsner All Grain this time to try the old yeast.
Thanks for the info.
Now I know how the kids in my field of work feel, after my 38 years in my biz I think things are too obvious.
P.S. The wife is starting to notice all my gear deliveries, any suggestions?

I just don't think I'm at the point I feel I can successfully save yeast yet. I have read a bunch and watch a lot of YouTube about it. I just would hate to brew a bad batch because I messed up the yeast save. I do have some Safale -05 in the fridge so I think I’ll use that and keep the Pilsner in the chamber for another week and then do another Pilsner All Grain this time to try the old yeast.
Thanks for the info.
Now I know how the kids in my field of work feel, after my 38 years in my biz I think things are too obvious.
P.S. The wife is starting to notice all my gear deliveries, any suggestions?

when it comes to SWMBO and brew equipment, you can run, but you can't hide forever

Using lager yeast for an ale?

It's Florida and my one Fridge chamber will have to do the cold crash on the Pilsner, so I guess 72oF for the Haus Pale. I guess that's too much for WLP800 yeast to be happy. I do want happy yeast right?
Thanks

Yes, yes you do want happy yeast or the things they will do to your beer will not be pleasent. Even for ales 72 degrees is a little high for my taste. You might try a swamp cooler. Search for swamp cooler on this site and you will get tons of great info.

when it comes to SWMBO and brew equipment, you can run, but you can't hide forever

I tell her it really isn't that much, The 60 quart HLT pot came today.
The 42 quart brew pot came on Tuesday. Maybe I should ship to my brother's house. LOL... I have to run to the LHBS tomorrow to fill this weekends grain bill.
I just can't stop. HELP!!!!

Yes, yes you do want happy yeast or the things they will do to your beer will not be pleasent. Even for ales 72 degrees is a little high for my taste. You might try a swamp cooler. Search for swamp cooler on this site and you will get tons of great info.

I wonder how much a walk-in cooler for the garage is.
Maybe I could sell it to her as a hurricane shelter.
At least we would have lots of beer to drink till the storm passes.
Oh the dreams!

I wonder how much a walk-in cooler for the garage is.
Maybe I could sell it to her as a hurricane shelter.
At least we would have lots of beer to drink till the storm passes.
Oh the dreams!

This is an amazing idea!!! Oh CourtHouseBrewing why did you put this idea in my head. Now to figure out a way to sell it!!

This is an amazing idea!!! Oh CourtHouseBrewing why did you put this idea in my head. Now to figure out a way to sell it!!

Of course it would have to have its own generator for power in an emergency. Let’s not forget fresh water and of course the brew gear. It would be a natural disaster preparedness facility, Right? The wife would have to buy into it. Hummm, I wonder if I could get the government to subsidize it. They do all kinds of other stuff.

Back