How long should CO2 last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewer74

Reaction score
So I had a 5 pound tank that a friend gave me to get my keezer built. It lasted through 2 1/6th barrels and 2 1/4 Barrels with me making all kinds of pressure adjustments resulting in wasted CO2. it then made it through force carbing my first home brew, a light ale. I finally had it refilled and after force carbing a hefe and an American wheat it's spent. I know the hefe sucked up quite a bit since I force carbed to about 3.8 volumes but to have the tank die already makes me question if it was filled properly. I had it filled at a local liquor store and it only cost $5, but I expect to get what I pay for.

My question to everyone, do you feel I should have blown through a 5lb tank after force carbing two corny kegs? Or do you think I got ripped off.

You got ripped. I force carbed 6 kegs at 30-40psi, drank off them at around 10psi, and drank 3- 5gal kegs from a local micro on one 5lb-er.

Actually I had a second that I used for a few days but it DID have a leak and I found it dry one morning.

That actually doesn't sound unreasonable to me. 5 kegs, all of which are bigger than your average homebrew keg. I only get 6-7 from a keg, and only force carb about half.

I also pay almost 20 bucks for 5 lbs, so even if you only got half I wouldn't complain. If you go somewhere that fills more.... it'll cost you 4 times as much.

I have a 10 lb as well that I just put on tonight after the 5lb died. It'll be interesting to see how long that one lasts. it was filled at the same place.

I agree that a dollar a pound is pretty cheap... In fact they only charge 5$ even to fill the 10 pounder so I guess I shouldn't complain, but don't claim it's filled unless it truly is. If I didn't have the 2nd tank I'd be more upset than I am.

Weigh the tank, there should be a tare wt stamped somewhere. My beer store frequently does not fill to 5 lbs, but it only costs 7 bucks so I dontt really complain.

i have a 10lb, and i go through plenty of kegs, force-carbing most of them. i expect to fill the 10lb twice a year. as it's happened, it's been every april and october

Back