How long should carbonation take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penabrewchef

Reaction score
I know this is a subjective question based on temp/ size of bottle/ ABV and other factors, but I was curious for a guideline. I have a 7% imperial red that I left in primary for two weeks then racked I a secondary for two weeks with bourbon soaked chips. I'm thinking that the 12 oz bottles should take about 3 weeks and the bombers a little longer. I plan I. Popping one a week just to see how it's coming along. What do you guys think?

The standard that gets thrown around here is 3 weeks at 70 degrees. Any colder than that and it will take longer. Some higher gravity beers take longer. Basically use 3 weeks as a minimum.

I use priming sugar (sucrose) and 2 weeks at 68 Deg F always works for me. in truth, I suspect it's done in one week, but I always give it two.

I wouldn't think of opening a 7% ABV beer in less than three weeks... and I'll be surprised if it doesn't improve a bit with a little age.

But then again, I'm a card-carrying anti-hurry guy.

Thanks for the input. This is my first batch an I plan to be as patient as is necessary to get it right. I want to pop one bottle a week just to see the progression if carbonation. But three weeks is definitely where I'll be aiming.

Popped one bottle after 8 days. Small hiss no gushing, very small 1/4 " head. Still needs to carb up a bit but it definitely tastes great. Overall, damn I made good beer. Imperial red with a nice oak and bourbon finish. Man, I should have started brewing sooner.

I usually wait three except for my overly hopped ipas, which ill sample as early as ten days. The highly hopped beers seem to carb faster and I like to get drinking them before the aroma fades.

Latest posts

Back