How long might it take to brick a fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyknives

Reaction score
I got a mini fridge with a freezer in it over the weekend and I bent the frame back. I was wondering how fast breaking the line would have bricked it, like, is it fine now that it is still cooling 4 days later?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I got a mini fridge with a freezer in it over the weekend and I bent the frame back. I was wondering how fast breaking the line would have bricked it, like, is it fine now that it is still cooling 4 days later?

If by "still cooling 4 days later" you mean it has successfully maintained your desired set point over the last four days, you're probably in good shape.

Otoh, if by "still cooling 4 days later" you mean the compressor has been running constantly for four days and has never reached the thermostat set point, you're probably going to be looking for another mini fridge...

Cheers!

It is producing cold atm, but it sounds different now is all. Kinda gurgling. Does reach the correct temp and has been there for 4 days though

If you'd have broken it, you'd know it right then. If it's still cooling, it's fine.

Not necessarily. I bricked a vintage fridge with a pinhole leak that i didn't notice until it just wasn't cooling very well. I had taken the sealed system out to replace insulation and when I put it back in everything worked fine. A week and a half later it was struggling to hold temps in the low 60s.

If you did brick it, keep an eye out for leaking oil. I found mine with a black light, though YMMV since mine used a different coolant/oil combination.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I was thinking a cracked refrigerant line would be pretty obvious by the sound of refrigerant under pressure blowing out. Maybe not, though, huh?

I "bricked" my phone once...never thought you could brick a fridge. :D

FWIW, a small leak can take quite a few days to manifest I think but if there was pressure and pulling and bending then I would assume there would not be a small leak. I'd think that would show its face in a matter of moments. I assume you're okay based on maintaining temps for 4 days straight.

[...]FWIW, a small leak can take quite a few days to manifest I think but if there was pressure and pulling and bending then I would assume there would not be a small leak.[...]

You have to assume the range of effects caused by bending a tube could range from "zero" to "catastrophic". There's no reason to doubt one could cause just the slightest, molecular-sized breach...

Cheers!

Thanks all for your help, but I feel like I should just assume the best at this point. 5 days of constant temp seems to mean its either ok, or the smallest hole haha. Time to open up the top and make a tower.

Back