how long is too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been away For quite a while, my last brew I did an extract with grain dark lager... I did all as usual and started lagering in a temp controlled unit. I started gathering equipment for kegging and upgrading etc. Work got in the way and only now am I in a position to bottle/keg this beer. The thing is this beer went into my lagering chamber last May..... How long is too long to lager?:mug:

7-8 months isn't too long for a lager. 6 months is not an uncommon lager period. Some go longer. Keg it up.

I would say if you look in your fermentor and all the beer has evaporated out it has been too long; other than that on the scale we brew you can't really have the beer in a fermentor for "too" long, over time the aspects may change but it should still be drinkable and might be better than what you were originally expecting.

You're probably fine. I haven't ever done a true lager, but they generally benefit from a good amount of time.

What would be your thoughts on bottling. Would you repitch yeast for fear of the yeast being to old? I have an Octoberfest that is about 3 weeks past bottling timeline for recipe kit.

What would be your thoughts on bottling. Would you repitch yeast for fear of the yeast being to old? I have an Octoberfest that is about 3 weeks past bottling timeline for recipe kit.

I use a 1/4 pk.of notingham in the bottling bucket when I'm bottling late... But you're not that far gone yet, still.should be viable
I'm sure someone will jump in with a better answer

Back