how long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTbrewer

Reaction score
So I only get milled grain for my recipes and I have been crazy busy and haven't gotten around to brewing my latest batch for 2 weeks or so...how long is too long to wait to use my milled grain?

Well, I've kept steeping grains around that long and they've always been fine. I usually try to brew within a week or two. I just ordered the ingredients for my first all grain batch. I sure hope a week or two won't make a huge difference. Otherwise, I'm going to have to be LOT more rigorous with my brewing schedule! :(

as long as you keep the grain dry and decently sealed it should last a good while. Grain's good like that. hehe

The kits you buy at your LHBS have crushed grains that have been around a lot longer than 2-3 weeks, and are at room temp. Of course, they probably lose something in flavor (as they start to do from the moment they're crushed). But it's not like they suddenly become unusable after a certain number of weeks or months.

Is freezing crushed grains a good idea? I have done that with my crushed specialty grains (in a deep freeze)

Cool and dry are key to keeping them fresh. They'll hold well in the fridge or freezer but the sooner you can use them the better. Once crushed the chances of them taking on off flavors goes up a great deal. Double bag and secure the openning very well if you need to store them more than a couple of weeks. Ever eaten a cracker out of a sleeve when they've been stored near bananas or grapes? Similar principal. Freezers tend to pull off a lot of moisture so prolonged storage can be detrimental there also.

Your grains are fine. I now order all of my grains crushed from www.brewmasterswarehouse.com, thanks Ed! The seal the bags well and I would have no problem leaving them for up to a month at 60 degrees before brewing. Fortunetly for me, as soon as the grains get here I am heating up strike water!

Latest posts

Back