How long is too long to cold crash before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McHaven

Reaction score
I've got a cream ale in the fermenter I've been cold crashing for a few days. I want to have a clearer beer in the end. However, I'm not going to be able to bottle until next week sometime. Should I stop cold crashing now and restart it later? I don't want to knock too many yeast out of the wort, so there will still be enough for bottle conditioning.

I've got a cream ale in the fermenter I've been cold crashing for a few days. I want to have a clearer beer in the end. However, I'm not going to be able to bottle until next week sometime. Should I stop cold crashing now and restart it later? I don't want to knock too many yeast out of the wort, so there will still be enough for bottle conditioning.

No, that's fine. I've lagered for months, and still had plenty of viable yeast. don't worry!

No, that's fine. I've lagered for months, and still had plenty of viable yeast. don't worry!

does the same rule apply to ale yeast? can that sit a few days to a month at lager temps and still bottle condition without more yeast additions?

I've lagered an ale for a month and it had no issue carbing up. It was a Kölsch yeast, but a normal ale shouldn't be an issue either.

I lagered close to two months, didn't add any yeast at bottling and actually had my first bottle bomb...so relax...don't worry

Also, if you're worried, just suck up a little sediment when siphoning. That should abate any worries about there not being any yeast. :fro:

Back