How long is StarSan good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I usually use Idophor for sanitizing. Once diluted Idophor is only good for 24 to 48 hours.

I thought I would get some StarSan for general sanitizing as it is supposed to stay good longer.

I mixed up a gallon a couple of weeks ago. It is in a tub with a lid on, and I just toss in any plastics I want sanitized (airlocks, seals, plastic caps, etc). Unfortunately I have no way of telling how long it is good for, or if it is any good.

Anyone know how long it should stay viable as a sanitizer?

How do you monitor its viability?

A long time. Generally, I make up a tub of it once a month - but that is more just because it gets "stuff" in it over time...... and it does not cost anything to make a new tub. I brew a lot and am always throwing stuff in the tub of starsan that I have.

Mixed with RO water/distilled water, I believe it will still be good for a year or more.

The big thing is that the pH stays under 3.0, I believe.

With a quality spray bottle, you can mix 32 oz of distilled water with 1.5 ml of Star San. That will keep forever or until used up. You won't need to buy more Star San for years.

Items don't need to be dunked, unless they have surfaces that can't be reached by a spray nozzle or sloshing.

A long time. Generally, I make up a tub of it once a month - but that is more just because it gets "stuff" in it over time...... and it does not cost anything to make a new tub. I brew a lot and am always throwing stuff in the tub of starsan that I have.

Mixed with RO water/distilled water, I believe it will still be good for a year or more.

The big thing is that the pH stays under 3.0, I believe.

Plus 1, or several, really. Using RO water, checking pH and avoiding cloudy are the main keys for me. I make up 4 gallons or so at a time. I keep it in a 5 gal bucket with a gamma lid. I Fill my spray bottle out of the bucket. I usually change mine out every 3-4 months....

pH is the key, as long as it's in the 2's, it's good. The acidity is how the sanitizer works. Cloudiness means it's buffered out minerals from tap water, not good. Use distilled, not purified water and it will last indefinitely.

I just tossed a small bottle of concentrated Starsan I had been using for 5 years. It became darker and darker until it literally "dried out". At the end, I would up with clumps of dried Starsan when diluting.

Back