how long is starsan good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosper123

Reaction score
I am new to using Starsan.

Yes I searched first, sad I feel the need to point that out.

I mixed up some Starsan last night and wondering how long before it goes inert. This stuff is so cheap for what you get, but filled up my spray bottle and don't want to waste it just the same.

I keep using mine for weeks if not months. Apparently if it goes cloudy it's bad. There is also a quote somewhere about the Ph level and that if it gets off by to much it's no good.

But generally if it's clear then it's good and so far no issues personally!

I keep mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid in ambient temps of 75 degrees. I use it for 3 months at a time before changing it. The PH range is anything below 3. Mine is still well below that at three months I just change it out anyway (I use a calibrated digital meter).

As far as it turning cloudy, mine is cloudy from the start when I mix it. I think it depends on your water whether it will be cloudy from the start. I use tap water and it has chloramine in it.

i keep mine in an old fermenting bucket.. I typically keep it for a month or two, sometimes even three months.. Then ill dump it or if the water starts to look dirty ill dump it an make a new batch.

From what I've read it depends on the water you use in the mix. If you use RO DI or distilled water it will last a very long time. Overnight should be fine as long as it's not cloudy or otherwise dirty.

Mine goes cloudy (hard water) but I check the pH before using and it has yet to rise above 3 even after a month or two. I toss mine when it's been made dirty by something like de-labeling bottles, not because it loses the ability to sanitize.

The stuff is cheap. I just make up a new batch when needed. I do keep a spray bottle filled with it. For that I use distilled water so it will last a long, long time.

Back