how long in the kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
on average how long do you guys keep a keg on tap? I have a 6 tap kegerator nd honestly rarely drink. LOVE making beer more than drinking beer. 6 taps was way overkill so I am constantly having kegs on tap for a LONG time.. especially if it is something only I will drink ( IIPA or stouts). I know there is a shelf life and I can start to notice some taste differences....

I have 5 taps (1 nitro) and am the only one in my house currently. I would say my average is 2-3 months. If I have something that seems to be going downhill, or has reached it's peak, it will get more attention. I think if you're the only one drinking, it's useful to lean toward styles that will last. I have a porter, and a barleywine, and a mild. All of which aren't hop forward and won't deteriorate or will get better with age. Hop forward beers, I tend to shoot for the border. For example, the area between where Pale ale and IPA cross. So it starts a low end IPA, and slowly deteriorates into a high end Pale ale. So you get a little extra time, but after 3 months or so, it's just a sad Pale.....so there's still a time limit if you go that route

I have 4 taps and room in my keezer for 5 kegs. Stuff can stay around for 3-4 months or more. The IPAs and pale ales tend to move more quickly, which is good. But, the less hoppy stuff, like porters and English bitters tend to hang around longer - which works out well because IPAs tend to be better when more fresh. When kegging, be sure to vent a few times to try to bleed out any oxygen in the headspace.

Latest posts

Back