How long in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocochoco

Reaction score
My cherry vanilla meadowfoam is 100% clear in my tertiary. It's only been a week so I'm wondering how long I should let it sit before bottling.

By and large the advice you'll get here is to not transfer at all to a secondary. The risks by far outweigh the rewards. It can be left for long periods in primary. If by tertiary you mean that you've already transferred more than once ... stop transferring it to anything but a bottle or keg. It can age just as well there.

Is it still sitting on the cherries? If so, how long has it been?

Nah I actually just boiled black cherries, filtered the fruit out, and reduced before adding to secondary. I always tertiary rack my wines. What's the difference with mead? I'm not gonna let anything sit on the lees in primary for more than a couple weeks. Just won't do it. Can't convince me otherwise lol.

Sorry, thought we were talking about beer. Forgive my ignorance of terminology. I got no clue what to tell you with wine or mead. In the beer realm, dealing with home brew amounts, transferring isn't helpful for typical beers. It can be done, but it needs to be oxygen free. In my experience, most people who ask about doing it have only read the instructions that came with their kit and dont have the equipment needed for oxygen free transfers or the knowledge of why it might be beneficial.

Ahh yeah I agree about beer. I moss it in boil then gelatin fine it after it ferments then cold crash before bottling. Can't quite do that with wine so I assume its the same with mead. I just figure more will settle out from mead than from wine due to heavy proteins in the honey. Wasn't quite sure.

Doh! I just realized I asked how long in secondary when I really meant to simply ask how long to rack

By and large the advice you'll get here is to not transfer at all to a secondary. The risks by far outweigh the rewards. It can be left for long periods in primary. If by tertiary you mean that you've already transferred more than once ... stop transferring it to anything but a bottle or keg. It can age just as well there.

Is it still sitting on the cherries? If so, how long has it been?
Agreed with JTVan. How long is a piece of string?!! Depends on the brew. Secondary can be 10 days or 6 months.

What was your O G?
I have one bottle left of a cherry meadowfoam mead I made 18 years ago. I don't remember the O G and the F G, but it figured out to be 18%. The last bottle that I opened, two years ago at a homebrew club meeting, was fantastic.
It was in secondary for a loooong time, I think a year.

Got it to .995, stablized, and backsweetened with the meadowfoam. 1/2 cup per gallon. Not oversweet but a nice flavor profile. Made 2 gallons from 1 batch. Flavored them differently. I guess time will tell. I kind of figured around New Years

Back