how long for ferment to start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
How long should I expect to wait untill fermentation starts??

Its been 2 hours

thanks

ethangray19 said:
How long should I expect to wait untill fermentation starts??

Its been 2 hours

Depending on the yeast you used and the amount pitched, it can be anything from a few hours to a couple days.

When I brew, I make starters everytime to make sure I have a good amount of yeast at the ready to start chomping on sugars. And I still can get lag times for the fermentation to start. When I brew wheats, the yeast can be very explosive, and begins anywhere from 3 to 4 hours. Other yeast strains can take 12 to 24 hours.

I have brewed my last two batches with Wyeast Rogue (Pac-Man) yeast, and made huge starters as well. Both batches took around 18 hours to start fermenting. AND, the yeast lived up to its name, but completing fermentation very quickly.

So your actual start time can vary greatly. Hang in there though, it will start.

Well about 5 hours after I pitched the fermentation started. So Im happy now.

I just read a post about fermentation temps and now have a different worry.

My house is anywhere from 68-76 F; I didnt think these temps were too high but I read in a post that these are too high and will create estery flavors in the beer.

I made one beer prior to this one and it had a very vigorous, 70-77 F ferment and the beer tasted good to me.

Maybe I ll make this exact same beer next time and temp controll the ferment.

What should ideal ale fement temps be? 65???

Back