how long for a hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robs1642

Reaction score
i just brewed a hefeweizen yesterday. its bubbling like crazy so everything's great so far.

but how long should i let it age/ferment? i've heard hefes dont take that long..but it seems a little extra time can't hurt..

your thoughts?

This is one beer style that isn't really going to benefit from aging. In fact, mine seemed to peak at about 6 weeks.

I suggest two weeks in the primary, skip the secondary, and one or two weeks in the bottle/keg.

I suggest 1 week in primary,
then brew another batch and add it to another primary, let it sit for a week;
then brew another batch and add it to a third primary, let it sit for a week;
Then, prime and bottle the first batch and pitch another batch onto the first yeast cake. Wait a week.
Then prime and bottle the second batch and pitch another batch onto the second yeast cake and wait a week.
Then prime and bottle the third batch and pitch another batch onto the third yeast cake and wait a week.
Then bottle the fourth batch and continue...

Damn Squirrels said:
I suggest 1 week in primary,
then brew another batch and add it to another primary, let it sit for a week;
then brew another batch and add it to a third primary, let it sit for a week;
Then, prime and bottle the first batch and pitch another batch onto the first yeast cake. Wait a week.
Then prime and bottle the second batch and pitch another batch onto the second yeast cake and wait a week.
Then prime and bottle the third batch and pitch another batch onto the third yeast cake and wait a week.
Then bottle the fourth batch and continue...
damn that's a lot of bottling.... Keg it.. :D

hefes can usually be bottled/kegged after about 10 days, but no they will not hurt from extra time. i would agree with flyguy. 2 weeks in primary.

they will get better in the bottle with a little age. mine are usually best at 4-6 weeks...then they start to decline. you can drink it all up within 1-2 weeks in the keg. nummy :mug:

I've drank hefes at 2 weeks, but they don't really get good until 3. For a dunkel I'd raise that to at least 4.

Hefe's are fast and fun. I popped my first airlock a few days ago. Ice cold with a slice of lemon...the best summer beer! "mmmmmm Hefe" (Homer)

Back