How long does yeast remain viable in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassballboy

Reaction score
I'm considering making a 10 gallon batch in the same vein of Founders Breakfast Stout, splitting it into 5 gallons and do one regular and one aged with oak cubes soaked in bourbon.

Everything I've read says aging with oak cubes generally is best over a few months. I still bottle to beer and don't have access to force carbing. How long will the yeast remain viable for bottling with priming sugar?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

I guess I should have mentioned I'll do this aging in the secondary.

Adding yeast in the bottling bucket - will it survive being thrown into 8%+ abv beer? I plan on bottling after roughly 4-5 months

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

Yes, the only "rule" when adding bottling yeast is make sure it doesn't attenuate more than the original yeast, it'll carb the priming sugar fine.

My general rule is to add yeast after 6 months, but there is probably plenty to do the job; maybe slowly.

Toss in some champagne yeast, seems tolerant of high gravity, and is cheap. Since it only ferments the simple sugars, there is no worry about further attenuation of the beer.

Latest posts

Back