How long do you dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long do you dry hop?

• 4 days

• 1 week

• 10 days

• 2 weeks

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

chemman14

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's preference is for dry hop length? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to a set amount of time? Please vote in the poll and give your reasoning if you feel like it.
I usually do two weeks, but I have heard this is too long.
:mug:

I used to always do a week. After watching the video with John Kimmich the guy that brews Headdy Topper He talked about 4 days being optimum. I tried it for the last two IPA's and the results are very good. Much fresher tasting.

I generally do 3-5 days, most often 5 days. I've gone longer when I didn't have time to keg or bottle when I planned, but my preference is still 3-5 days.

Usually about 5-7 days, depending on when I actually get around to bottling. I always shoot for ~5 days, but sometimes life gets in the way and it goes a bit longer. This has never resulted in undesirable grassy off-flavours, IMO.

Same here, ~5-7 days. I too have heard that a shorter duration of ~3-4 days is supposed to be plenty. IMHO, I never think I get what I consider great hop aroma. At least not in comparison to some commercial brews. So, either I'm doing something wrong like too long of a dry hop or just not enough hops. (And I have used a LOT!) Or the commercial brewers are doing something else like extract or using a hopback or a Randall at packaging. I so desire to brew a beer with a hop aroma that makes you go WOW! I've honestly wondered if I need to dry hop longer....

Dry hopping for the first time. Hop bag just went into the keg and there it will stay until the keg is finished or bad flavors show up. We'll see if it produces grassy tastes or not.

5-7 days here as well. I like to wait till most of the hops have started sinking which tells me they have fully saturated and thus fully transferred their flavor into the beer.

I go 48 to 72 hours. It helps to cold crash for a couple days before dry hopping. The yeast particles in suspension attract the hop aroma chemicals so it helps if the yeast is dropped from suspension as much as possible.

I go 48 to 72 hours. It helps to cold crash for a couple days before dry hopping. The yeast particles in suspension attract the hop aroma chemicals so it helps if the yeast is dropped from suspension as much as possible.
Really? I've never heard this before. Sounds legit but where did you get your info?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Over the last 5 years I've tried anything between 14 days and 2 days. My last IIPA I did 0! Instead I put whole cones in the keg, 2 Oz. the beer cleared quicker, I didn't have any "tea" flavor from tannins, and had just as much aroma as my typical fermenter dry hopped beers.

I'm keeping an open mind but I think for me this might be the best option.

The main reason I tried this is because big pellet dry hop additions to my carboy resulted in big aroma, which was great, but I needed to wait up to 2 weeks for the beer to mellow, by which time the aroma had dropped significantly. Seemed like a waste of hops.

Fwiw and WTF and ymmv etc,
Steve da sleeve

I dry hop in the keg....whole hops in a bag weighted down and leave it there till the keg is empty. I don't get any "grassy" tastes and I don't sense any change in the beer as the keg empties. I typically have the bag in there at least a week before I tap the keg.

I dry hop 4 day right in primary.

I usually ferment for 10 days, dry hop for 4 and then bottle. I don't see the benefit of an additional rack from primary to secondary with the hops for 4 days and then to a bottling bucket. Why unnecessarily expose it to more oxygen?

I get better results dry hopping at fermentation temperature anyway. I just feel I get less aroma and flavor at cooler temperatures.

Back