How long do unrefrigerated hops last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MariaAZ

Reaction score
I bought a kit two days ago and just realized that I didn't put the hop pellets in the fridge. I'm figuring they'll be ok, since people buy hops through the mail and THEY'RE not kept refrigerated. But how long can an unopened package of hops last without refrigeration before one experiences a loss in quality?

That's always a debate. Are they fresh or pellets? My belief is that pellets are more stable than fresh hops. Either way, I would think that a couple of weeks in a sealed container would be OK and you wouldn't notice any major degradation.

I agree with Hopfan they will probably go longer if there vacuum sealed with a food saver or seal a meal , I prefer flower hops because they won't go though my Terminator as easy as pellet hops.

MariaAZ said:
I bought a kit two days ago and just realized that I didn't put the hop pellets in the fridge. I'm figuring they'll be ok, since people buy hops through the mail and THEY'RE not kept refrigerated. But how long can an unopened package of hops last without refrigeration before one experiences a loss in quality?

I just made up a kit that I had left upstairs in a closet for about 7 months. I was wondering about the pellet hops too. Beer will be ready in a couple weeks, I'll let you know how it goes...

The very first beer I ever brewed I used pellet hops that were 2+ years old without chilling. My college roomate had purchased a beginners brew setup for a guy that lived there before me, and he never used it. It was my going away/clean out the basement present. My new housemates and I brewed it up using the old ingredients (even old dry yeast!) and it made beer that tasted pretty good!

I'm no expert, but I think you'll be fine! :mug:

Back