How long do milled specialty grains last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
I bought three recipe kits at Austin Homebrew Supply about three weeks ago; intended to go through them pretty quickly, but life got in the way. The LME, yeast, and hops have been refrigerated the entire time, so no worries there. The milled specialty grains are in sealed airtight bags, almost look vacuum packed....how long will they last that way? Thanks

Use them in the next month or two and no issues. Store them in cool dry place. Since this is extract, your fermentables are mostly coming from the LME. Specialties that are steeped are largely for color and some flavor; not really much conversion with them.

No need to refrigerate but they should be kept in a cool dry spot in the house. If you can seal them up to keep moisture and oxygen out you'll be fine for quite a while. I've had milled grains for a few months (life derailed my brew day for a while) before I used them without any noticeable affect.

Do not expose them to air though. I had some milled two row go bad on me. Not a pleasant taste in a beer.

Back