Quantcast

How long do I have?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

scoots

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I live in southern WI and have 2 questions about planting hops fo the first time this year.

1. The hops just arrived, should I plant them in containers in the garage now, in the ground outside (it seems a bit early) or keep them in the refrigerator for a bit?

2. How long will I have until I will need my trellis system up? I plan to make a system like described in the March April 2009 BYO Project section.

brewmasterpa

Reaction score
as long as there are no more anticipated freezes, you should be able to plant now. you dont need to plant in a pot, you can go directly into the ground as long as the soil is prepared properly. you should have your trellis ready by the time your vine is 1 foot, then begin the wrap with twine by the time its 1.5 feet.

OP
S

scoots

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It will probably freeze again here, so I better wait a bit. What advantage could I get from planters now? Will it help with any potential root formation?

silvervan83

Reaction score
I started mine in the garage about a week ago and already have buds coming up. We are going to be freezing for probably another couple months so thats where they will be for that time. I've got a big ass window in the garage that they sit under.

This is my first year so I can't tell you any advantages but I can't see it hurting to have them rooted and strong before they go into the ground.

Getpaddled

Reaction score
It will probably freeze again here, so I better wait a bit. What advantage could I get from planters now? Will it help with any potential root formation?
I am in the same boat you are in...I am out of Marshfield WI i have 14 rhizomes that came in 4 days ago and are sitting in my fridge in damp paper towl, in a plastic bag with poked holes in them, NOT closed. I dont have 14 pots to start them I just hope spring comes early.

the 10 day forecast for my area (Highs 42-52)( lows 20-28)