How long do crushed grains stay fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardM

Reaction score
I was going to put in an order at my lhbs for a recipe. They double crush the grain for me and are in a closed up paper bag when I pick them up. I was wanting to place an order for another recipe to save me a trip, but will be close to a month before I brew the second one. I was wondering if the grains loose freshness after being crushed. If so what time frame am I looking at?... I definitely need a grain crusher.

They will lose freshness. Your schedule is on the long end of the window. If you can put them in ziplock bags, squeeze out as much air as possible, and freeze (or at least refrigerate) you should be OK.

That said, my whole grains are in sealed containers in the garage that gets well into the 90s. Most are several years old and they are still making very good beer. So, YMMV.

I always bought double crushed from Ritebrew, two batches per order, and Life sometimes would get in the way of brewing. They were twist-tied plastic bags, not paper. Sometimes Life interfered with brewing and I'd go up to 70d (according to my ntoes) between order and brewing with no noticeable effect. The bags were stored in ~60°F basement, in the box in which they shipped.

Get the crushed grains into plastic, store in dark dry cool place, stop worrying.

I use Roasted Barley after ten month of crush and work OK. Maybe on base malt efficiency will be little smaller.

There's a bruloshpy for that:
http://brulosophy.com/2018/10/29/the-impact-of-age-on-crushed-malt-exbeeriment-results/

Found that no one could tell the difference after six months.

That was a fun article to read and in addition, makes my life a lot easier! MY LHBS doesn't open until 11:00 on weekends and I am using chillingmy forst batch by that time, so I like to buy in advance. because I buy in advance, I often fall prey to the change of plans. To me, this is great news, and I can now save the $+-100 on a grain mill.

Back