How long can you go before pitching??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
Got an IPA in the fermenter this afternoon and realized I have the wrong yeast strain for this recipe... DOH!

I could pitch what I have but would rather pitch the strain that was intended for this recipe. I won't be able to get the "right" strain until tomorrow mid-day.

How long can a batch go before pitching without causing problems??

As long as you were sanitary and clean.....18-24hours in my opinion. I have done no-chill before and went 18 hours. I also had a starter not ready and went a full 24 before.

I have to see if I can slip out around lunch to run out and pick up the right yeast. It's going to be pretty close to 24 hrs before I'm able to pitch.

What yeast did you have/want?

24 hours is taking a chance. Wild yeast/bacteria can take hold quickly. Most likely it will be ok, but there is a chance.

What yeast did you have/want?

24 hours is taking a chance. Wild yeast/bacteria can take hold quickly. Most likely it will be ok, but there is a chance.

If he has the wort in a sealed, air locked container, what wild yeasts will take hold? If he dropped some CO2 on it, kept everything clean, and cooled it quickly, I think he will be fine at 24 hours......theoretically, if the fermenter is sealed, how would anything get in?

If he has the wort in a sealed, air locked container, what wild yeasts will take hold? If he dropped some CO2 on it, kept everything clean, and cooled it quickly, I think he will be fine at 24 hours......theoretically, if the fermenter is sealed, how would anything get in?

You will pick up wild yeast and bacteria just transferring to the fermenter. Its always there no matter what you do. The trick is to get the brewing yeast to dominate before the wild yeast and bacteria do.

You will pick up wild yeast and bacteria just transferring to the fermenter. Its always there no matter what you do. The trick is to get the brewing yeast to dominate before the wild yeast and bacteria do.

While I agree with you, it has been proven that this does not always result in a ruined batch. Many people do the no-chill method and wait up to 18 hours before pitching. Countless more will wait up 4-6 hours while the wort chills more in the fermentation chamber to get to pitching temps. Yes, he is risking it with the wait, but I don't think there is a high risk, just the sooner the better in these instances.

CHEERS!:mug:

Well as I said above, Its most likely ok, but there is the chance. 4-6 hours is one thing but a full day gives the nasties time to multiply.

I was more wondering if getting the right strain is worth the wait. Especially with an IPA, the yeast isnt as critical for flavor

This is for a Sweetwater IPA Clone and the last batch I brewed was missing something. I failed to update my notes from the last batch and ended up buying the same yeast (Wyeast 1056) even though I had found that the brewery uses Wyeast 1968.

I get that it's a risk waiting. I wanted to see how long some folks had gone before pitching.

Guess I'll be pushing the limits here but sometimes you just got to do what you got to do. Damn the torpedoes!

:mug:

I would hedge my bets and plan to double pitch whichever yeast you are going for. This may be over pitching, but that gives the yeast the upper hand over any microbes or wild yeast that may be in your wort.

No visible signs of contamination, yet...

Finally got the yeast pitched and I'm right at 24 hrs from getting the wort cooled and into the fermenter.

We'll see what happens from here.

:pipe:

You should be okay. I brew a lot of lagers and during the summer months, I can't get the wort chilled to pitching temps (mid-to-upper 40's) without letting it sit in the cold ferm chamber over night. That often means 24 hours between transfer and pitching. My lagers have consistently turned out just fine using that method.

I no-chill and will often go 18-24 hours before pitching, but I'm very careful to make certain the wort is sealed away from interlopers during that time. If you were careful too, your beer will be just fine.

I like others, routinely let my wort chill down to pitching temps overnight. Mind you this is done in a closed temp controlled ferm box. I also use starters and or 1 1-2 packs of dry yeast. Not a single problem to date.

While I agree with you, it has been proven that this does not always result in a ruined batch. Many people do the no-chill method and wait up to 18 hours before pitching. Countless more will wait up 4-6 hours while the wort chills more in the fermentation chamber to get to pitching temps. Yes, he is risking it with the wait, but I don't think there is a high risk, just the sooner the better in these instances.

CHEERS!:mug:

The difference is in no chill the wort is transfered to the fermenter hot and then sealed

Back