How long can I wait before pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
My LHBS offers all grain beer pre brewed in a 5gallon fermentation bucket for us home brewers that have less time than before, all that said he also includes a safe ale yeast packet in the price.

He keeps his wort in a big refregerator in a sterile pastirised ferme ting bucket, do you guys think that if I put the 5gallon bucket in my fridge for an additional 48h because I want to make a starter with the safe ale everything will be ok ?

If the yeast is Fermentis Safale S-04 or S-05 dry yeast there's no need to make a starter. Simply hydrate and pitch.

Kudos to your LHBS for making a product like that available. I've never heard of that before. What do they charge for 5gal of wort? Can you bring the bucket back for a credit on your next wort purchase?
I don't think I would ever actually do it but I admire their attempt to make homebrew possible for those who can't find the time ....cheers!

My yeast is dry fermentis S-04 the light blue package i'll rehyrdate it and pitch then...

The LHBS charges 45$ CAD for a 5 gallon batch and a 5$ fefundable charge for the bucket when you bring it back with a packet of fermentis yeast

It costs the same as buying the product, made from all grain and a new flavor every month

They have been doing this for a few years now so I guess pple buy the product pr they would have stoped.

They brew many gallons at a time, they are like a micro brewery [emoji123]

If the yeast is Fermentis Safale S-04 or S-05 dry yeast there's no need to make a starter. Simply hydrate and pitch.

Why is there no need to make a starter ? Is it not better to start you're yeast in any case ? How do I rehydrate it? Never used Fermentis, always used Wyeast smack pack with 2 step starter...

Why is there no need to make a starter ? Is it not better to start you're yeast in any case ? How do I rehydrate it? Never used Fermentis, always used Wyeast smack pack with 2 step starter...

The dry yeast already has a massive cell count. It really shows if you go to Mr. Malty and look and at the pitch rate for a starter vs a dry yeast packet. Bottom line - you need a big starter to match the dry yeast. Two 11.5g packets of dry yeast can handle a 1.100 OG. Making a starter just isn't going to improve that. It might even reduce the cell count.

Dry yeast should be rehydrated to improve its survival rate at introduction into the wort. The wort has so much dissolved material (sugars and salts) that it's very challenging for the yeast to get water to cross it's membranes and into the cell. In a very low gravity wort or in water, this happens passively. By rehydrating the yeast, it's allowed to "wake up" in the most friendly environment possible. It's going into the wort with it's cells healthy and fully hydrated.

The dry yeast already has a massive cell count. It really shows if you go to Mr. Malty and look and at the pitch rate for a starter vs a dry yeast packet. Bottom line - you need a big starter to match the dry yeast. Two 11.5g packets of dry yeast can handle a 1.100 OG. Making a starter just isn't going to improve that. It might even reduce the cell count.

Dry yeast should be rehydrated to improve its survival rate at introduction into the wort. The wort has so much dissolved material (sugars and salts) that it's very challenging for the yeast to get water to cross it's membranes and into the cell. In a very low gravity wort or in water, this happens passively. By rehydrating the yeast, it's allowed to "wake up" in the most friendly environment possible. It's going into the wort with it's cells healthy and fully hydrated.

Thanks for the info :) I pitched without rehydrating hope everything will turn out right

Thanks for the info :) I pitched without rehydrating hope everything will turn out right it's been 12h still no activity

Thanks for the info :) I pitched without rehydrating hope everything will turn out right it's been 12h still no activity

Most of my brews don't show activity for 24 to 36 hours. If your doesn't show activity by the 3rd day, take a hydrometer reading and if unchanged, pitch new yeast.:rockin:

Latest posts

Back