How Long Can I Store a High ABV Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Folks, I brewed a St Arnold's xmas ale clone back in September and it was way to green to drink. So, I left it, pressurized the keg and disconnected the CO2 tank.

I tasted it again this week and it's better but still green.

So will it get better if I leave it in the Keg until xmas 2008 and if so, should I keep the keg cool (60 - 65 F) or Warm (70 - 72F) ? Or is this too long for it to sit ?

Agreed. I have a barleywine that is 10% and 4 1/2 years old. The higher the ABV, the longer you can keep it and the longer it takes to age.

My guess is it's a tad south of 8%; I should probably take another reading.OK Got it, colder is better.

I brewed my Solstice Ale (RIS) in the summer of '06 & it's just now gettin' really good! It was stored at around 70 deg F for the 1st 6 months or so. It's been kept at around 55-60 deg F for the past year & it really seems to like those temps.

I'd say keep it @ 50-55 if you have the means.

Cheers :mug:

Thanks I can get to about 55 - 60 through April then the best I can do is 70 so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

As long as you didn't filter it it should be good for years. I've had a beer that said "We put a best before date because we are forced to but this beer is best if stored for years before drinking." (Not exactly sure on the wording but that was the gist of it)

nope no filter. You guys got me psyched about xmas 08. I was bummed about this brew but it seems like this will work out for the better !

One other question ... Does anyone know why the lower temps help the beer ? What chemically is occuring ?

Chemical reactions (in this case your yeast) in general slow down when at lower temperatures. So bad stuff happens slower when things are stored cool. That's why you have a refrigerator. ;) But seriously, you'll be fine at 70F for a while, definately till next Christmas.

Back