how long can I keep hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
Hello. One quick question, I've had hops in the fridge for about two years. Are they still good to use? I have pellets and whole. Thanks for the info. Dont want to waste them if I don't have to.

Hi Todd, I'm not an expert on this but I know that how you've packaged them plays a big part. Are they in vacuum-sealed or nitrogen flushed bags, or could they possibly have been exposed to oxygen in, say, a ziplock bag? That might help the experts to answer the question.

Storage temps also play a role, so you'd want freezer over fridge, and deep freezer over frost-free freezer. If they've never been opened and stored in the freezer, that's the best case scenario. Worst case, you have some aged hops on hand for use in a sour

Fridged hops might be ok for a short time,but the freezer is def better for long term hop storage. Smell them & see. Old hops can make some funky off flavors.

My understanding is that if you have removed all the O2, they can stay in a freezer for years. Jamil just talked about it on one of the most recent episodes of brew strong

I've had som NZ & English hops in the freezer over a year sealed up in original packets that still worked well.

I brewed a Citra Pale ale last week using Citra pellet hops from 2012 and they still smell great! They have been vacuum sealed and kept in the deep freezer at -5F.

I would just assume they loose about 10% AA content per year and adjust recipe based on that.

Ok, throwing the old hops away! Thanks guys, I was a l a little leary about using them, but wanted more input. This is my holday ale, and is expensive.

Fresh hops would be wise at this point. I understand how expensive a holiday beer can be with all the extra additions.

Back