How long can extract kit last before it goes bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Have a pilsner extract kit and I forgot I had it under the cabinet. It's been there for probably 3-4 months, I took the box out and everything looks fine however before I go ahead and brew it and waste time, is it all bad? Everything is vacume sealed and hops are pellets in individual packets along with dry yeast? Should I pitch it in the garbage or go ahead and try it??

If you have the time and space you might as well try it. Worst thing that can happen is that it taste bad and you toss it then.

Dry extract has a longer shelf life than liquid. Having said that, 3-4 months isn't that long. I'd brew it... other than time, you have nothing to lose.

I bought a equipment kit on CL for $30 just to get the buckets and spare parts and the thing had an amber extract kit inside. Could have been easily 2 years old. I tossed the yeast packet and got a new us-05, an oz of hops (forgot which kind) and brewed it up. No one who drank it had any idea it was that old.

I have brewed a kit that sat for a year and it came out fine... just had to change out the yeast.

Yep, and figure that the hops have little flavor left. I threw them in anyways but assumed they had about 10% of their flavor.

If sealed properly, there would be no problem using a kit that was 6 months old.

Extract will keep for a couple of years if sealed in plastic container. If in a tin, it can develop a 'tinny' flavor if there is any damage to the can. the extract is slightly acidic, and that too can eventually cause it to attack the material of any can after some time.

Hops keep well if sealed. Different hops store better than others. Some of the worst will loose about 50% of their acids in 6 months if left out in the air at room temp. Vacuum sealed or packaged with an inert gas, and they will keep much better.

Dry yeast should be fine. It looses about 20% viability per year at room temps.

Latest posts

Back