how long before wort goes bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuMay

Reaction score
how long can you keep your wort in the fermenter before adding the yeast? days? weeks? months?!?

You want to pitch your yeast pretty quick so that it can compete with any other nasties that might have gotten past your sanitizing procedures. I suppose if you were to sterilize and can it, you could sell it at room temps in shops, but I don't think that's what you're asking. Pitch immediately, certainly within 24 hours.

I've let mine go for 24hrs without any problems.

Even though the wort is boiled, and the container it's in has been cleaned with starsan, you still wouldn't have killed 100% of the bacteria in there. You may have killed 99.9%, but the .1% left will eventually start to multiply.

I imagine the wort could last for a few days maybe even a week if you practiced good sanitation, but I wouldn't want to test that. Add your yeast has soon has the wort has cooled down.

This just makes no sense. PITCH THE YEAST ALREADY!!! Seriously, what's the wait for anyway? If your not ready to pitch the yeast, don't brew until you are. Sorry, this whole letting the wort sit around without pitching thing gets me all worked up and confused. :D

This just makes no sense. PITCH THE YEAST ALREADY!!! Seriously, what's the wait for anyway? If your not ready to pitch the yeast, don't brew until you are. Sorry, this whole letting the wort sit around without pitching thing gets me all worked up and confused. :D

With your handle, I'm sorta thinking you should be jumping up and down. :ban:

Back