How important is water treatment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungPole

Reaction score
I've brewed roughly 10 partial grain beers - pre-measured recipies from the LHBS.

I've always used straight tapwater in the fermenter to mix with the cooled wort. In lurking around here some, I haven't read much of anything about water treatment.

Do most people treat the water or just use tapwater? If you do treat the water, to what extent is it really necessary?

Depends on where you live. I have hard/mineral laden water that is treated with chloramines. For AG I use a potable water hose with a water filter to get some of the junk out, then I have to use campden tablets to get the chloramine that the filter misses. Alternatively, I have used 50% distilled water to bring the water into better balance but it doesn't take out all of the chloramine harshness.

I did extract brewing for a few years and used bottled spring water but with AG it more water than I want to buy and lug around.

I live in Vancouver, Canada. When I run my cold water and put my nose within 5 inches of it I can actually smell the Chlorine. I boil my water the day before I brew cause I dont trust it.

If you boil all the water or use all spring water, I am assuming that's it. No treatment. Correct?

You need an activated carbon filter to remove chloramine (or campden tablets, search forum for that info). I use a $25 faucet filter. You will notice a taste difference when you start using filtered water for your beers from my experience.

Not everyone is a fan of reverse osmosis but I use a 5-stage RO system for brewing. I am also going to order the UV light filter to the system to kill all the little crawlies that maybe in the water.

:mug:

If you boil all the water or use all spring water, I am assuming that's it. No treatment. Correct?

For extract that is correct I use spring water and my first beer turned out awesome, the extract has everything you need for good fermentation. If you are using tap water then boiling will get rid of some types of chlorine and the rest you will need campden tabs. For all grain and partial mash you need to know more about your water chemistry and adjust according to the type of beer you are making.

I have well water, I use a 5 micron whole house filter and standard Carbon Faucet filter and change it before each brewing so that it's new and gets "Everything" that it should. Without there may be a sedement problem.
Water tasts great and the beer seems to come out good.

2.5 Gallon spring water bottles at the market go for like 2 dollars and some change. Thats the only way I will go.:ban:

Back