How I slayed the Golden Dragon, with a lot of pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spin02

Reaction score
I have been looking forward to this brew day for several weeks, so I had to post a few pics and some highlights from the day.

I ordered and received Northern Brewer’s Golden Dragon kit a few weeks ago. Until this past weekend, I just haven’t had the time to devote to a brew day. I am a big fan of Gulden Draak and will be pleased if this Belgian Dark Strong is even close.

Here’s what I came up with in Brewsmith:

Recipe: Golden Dragon
Brewer: spin02
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.091 SG
Estimated Color: 18.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU

12.00 lb Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
0.75 lb Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (19.0 SRM) Grain 4.69 %
0.25 lb Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM) Grain 1.56 %
1.00 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.6 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [3.90 %] (30 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [3.90 %] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Servomyces (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Brown (Soft) [Boil for 5 min]Extract 6.25 %
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for 5 min] Extract 6.25 %
1.00 lb Candi Syrup, Dark (80.0 SRM) Sugar 6.25 %
10.00 gal Deer Park (R), Bottled Water Water
2 Pkgs Flanders Golden Ale (Wyeast Labs #3739) [SYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 19.50 qt of water at 159.2 F 150.0 F

The Tuesday prior, I made a yeast starter using two smack packs of Wyeast 3739-PC Flanders Golden Ale + 2500ml of starter wort. This stayed on the stir plate for 2 days, and then I cold crashed it for another two. I plan on decanting off 2/3 of the starter, leaving a solid 1L slurry.

My water/grain ratio was 1.5 gallons/1 pound. I added 4.75 gallons of 170 degree water to the MLT to preheat. When the water reached 160, I added the grain, and the temperature stabilized at 151. Conversion took right at 90 minutes. The temperature had dropped to 150 after 30 minutes, 149 after 60 minutes, and 148 after 90 minutes.

I collected 3.3 gallons of first runnings, then did two rounds of batch sparging, yielding a total of 7 gallons. Pre-boil gravity at this volume should be 1.056, I measured 1.054 at 75 degrees. After temperature adjustments, that’s plenty close enough for me. The directions recommended a 60 minute boil, but I opted for 90 minutes to help drive off DMS from the Pilsen.

Once the boil was complete, I cooled the wort to under 85 with an IC, then used an ice bath to get the wort down to 68. Gravity, with added sugars, was 1.086. Once I add the Candy Syrup at high krausen, O.G. should be around 1.093. I aerated well and pitched the yeast slurry.

I’ll keep this at 68 degrees until fermentation slows, then ramp it up to 70.

My plans are to keep it in the primary for a month, move to a secondary for two more months, then bottle age until it’s ready to drink.

IMG_5922.JPG

IMG_5927.JPG
All cleaned up with new teflon tape
IMG_5929.JPG
Testing the MLT for leaks
IMG_5934.JPG

IMG_5938.JPG

My rig. I decided not to fly sparge this time around, but grabbed the pic anyway
IMG_5941.JPG
Adjuncts and such
IMG_5943.JPG

IMG_5959.JPG

IMG_5961.jpg
First runnings
IMG_5962.JPG

7 gallons ready to boil
IMG_5971.JPG
Pre-boil gravity at 75 degrees
IMG_5974.JPG

IMG_5975.JPG
Crashed Starter
IMG_5976.JPG
1L slurry
IMG_5980.jpg

O.G. minus the .007 from the candy syrup that will be added
IMG_5984.JPG
Well areated
IMG_5987.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG

that's hot...lol. I have the same stir plate. Did you have to get a bigger stir bar for using the growler?

My stir bar is 1.125", I think. I did have to turn up the speed to 75% to keep a nice dimple.

Nice, my "Golden Dragon" is about 5 weeks in and I have never been so excited for a beer to finish. Mmmmmm, can't wait!

Excellent pics. Look like it will be a tasty beer.
Shouldn't a beer that big have a blowoff tube instead of just an airlock? I'd hate to see that on the ceiling!!

Nice pics. I curious why you decided to go with 2 smack packs and not just propagate from 1? Lack of time to grow a proper sized starter from 1? Seems like a lot of extra money to spend on yeast.

I've been thinking about trying this kit or something similar to it as well. Let us know how it turns out.

Excellent pics. Look like it will be a tasty beer.
Shouldn't a beer that big have a blowoff tube instead of just an airlock? I'd hate to see that on the ceiling!!

It was close, but I didn't need a blowoff this time. Looking back, it probably would have been a good idea. I guess luck was on my side :)

Nice pics. I curious why you decided to go with 2 smack packs and not just propagate from 1? Lack of time to grow a proper sized starter from 1? Seems like a lot of extra money to spend on yeast.

I've been thinking about trying this kit or something similar to it as well. Let us know how it turns out.

Mostly it was time constraints. I generally like to just use one pack and step it up a time or two. When I realized I would have a free day to brew, I figured I might was well use both packs to be safe.

I transferred to the secondary tonight. Looks like it finished around 1.006, nice :)

IMG_6333.JPG

Back