How I love June 1st in Boston!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
I love Boston in the summer, it is a college town and the place empties out of students. June first is the mass exodous, the moving vans are everywhere this weekend and I am going to score some nice stuff...

Ah I see college students, so you have been living on mommy and daddies money, and are moving home for the summer, what you can't take all of the stuff from your dorm back to your parents place in california via airplane and you need to sell it. You didn't think about this problem far enough in advance to rent a van and a storage space for your stuff and you have to be out of your place before the first of the month. Now you are listing practically everything you own as for sale on craigslist in hopes of selling it before you move. Well let me help you out.

I see you want 600 for that 32 inch lcd tv, so you paid 1200 for it less than 9 months ago, how nice for you. I'll give you $200 for it, you don't want to take my $200, what a shame I guess you'll just leave it behind in this apartment or throw it out or something. I don't think anyone else is going to buy this before tomorrow and by the looks of things you have a lot of packing to do. O.K. fine I can see you are desperate, I'll give you $300 for it. Great so it is a deal, perfect, you wouldn't still happen to have the box for this thing sitting around would you, you do how nice of you to keep something so important.

SCORE!!!!!!

This ****er is going on e-bay, that is an easy $500 profit for me.... :cross::cross::cross:

Nice, I am in college central here in boston, so many colleges the population of the city drops by 300k every june and increases by 300k every september...

Amen brother. I used to live in Allston, when school ended the Green Line would empty and it was a breeze getting around.

Though College student may be living off of mommy and daddy's money as you say, they are a huge contributor to the economy of the commonwealth of massachusetts. They bring in endless cash and support local businesses, while also contribute to the gentrification of many locations that other locals would consider "bad" or "not worth moving into". I honestly think your remarks and generalizations (albeit slightly accurate) are slightly off base and rude to those (the majority) who are enjoying Boston for its rich culture and possibility of advancement.

Though College student may be living off of mommy and daddy's money as you say, they are a huge contributor to the economy of the commonwealth of massachusetts. They bring in endless cash and support local businesses, while also contribute to the gentrification of many locations that other locals would consider "bad" or "not worth moving into". I honestly think your remarks and generalizations (albeit slightly accurate) are slightly off base and rude to those (the majority) who are enjoying Boston for its rich culture and possibility of advancement.

Nice sentiment. :mug:

Hehe, reading that now, I'm surprised how eloquent I sound after a few beers :mug:

Another big effect is that many students fall in love with the area, and end up creating innovative companies... or attract major companies because the qualified workforce is right here, and love the area (telecom, biotech, financial services).
I read that some towns in the Boston area have the higher education level per capita in the country as a result --does not mean there are no weasels, I am sure but a good trait overall.

Recently I saw a presentation for lay people by a young Dana Farber researcher in genetics and cancer, and it was just mind-blowing... one of those moments that make you believe there are still good forces working out there...

I don't think op was knocking students if he didin't like them then he should move. Don't forget it is perfect time for sanyo fridges thats how i got mine last year.

I fully understand that the students are pretty much a huge part of the economy up here, I am in fact a higher ed consultant, so much of my work derives from the fact that college is a huge industry. I am not knocking all students, just the ones stupid enough to wait till the 30th of may to start selling their stuff before flying back to california or china or chicago, and moving out of their apartments on June 1st. I totally scored a 1200 flat screen TV for 300 bucks from one of them...

I am somewhat ticked off with the students who can afford to practically give a way or throw out so much useful stuff that they all leave behind. They have no sense of the value of things, and are living off of their parents. But this comes from me, a guy who paid his own way through both undergrad and grad school working overnight shifts from 11pm to 7am, struggling to make rent.

I have no problem paying them one quarter of what their huge flatscreen is worth, as they didn't have the sense to plan ahead and put the thing in storage since they will be back next fall, only to buy another $1200 TV. I am going to go pick up an Xbox 360 and 12 games later today the guy is asking for the bargain basement price of $200, and when I get there I am going to offer the rediculusly low price of $50, and you know what even if I dont take it he will probably throw it out. I might even pay the full $200 for it, but I can get at least that much for it all at gamestop. I am taking advantage of the fact that the students are lazy and don't plan ahead, and are down the the wire and have to be out of their apartments in less than 10 hours.

Back