How has your brewing mindset changed since you started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, looking back I brewed my first batch over 20 years ago and shake my head at the mistakes I made. I've got to echo the theme of simplicity, but for me it's been more about ingredients versus equipment. I've whittled my grain list down to a dozen stock grains, 2 yeast varieties and a dozen hops. I've also focused on 5 core styles instead of trying to brew everything. I tend to alternate with brewing something new every other batch and perfecting my recipes the other batches. Ironically my equipment has become more complex having just added a pump and RIMS, but it's still a single kettle BIAB system.

I didn't get seriously back into brewing until two and a half years ago. Most of the batches before then were mediocre at best. One thing that's been a huge help is the wealth of information there is about brewing and I've spent a lot of time learning about the chemistry and biology behind the brewing process. Before it was throw some ingredients together and hope it all turns out OK. Now I carefully plan the recipe and brew day and greatly improved my sanitation practices.

The one last thing that's changed is I'm now trying to focus on consistency. I showed one of my brew buddies my Word template for batch notes and the Excel spreadsheet I use to supplement BeerSmith and was told "you've gone full-on brewing nerd." From adding the RIMS to keep my mash temps steady to a kegerator to control fermentation temps, I'm slowly getting closer to dialing in my process.

Wow! Vandulus you could be me...or visa-versa! Started brewing over 20 years ago (even had a small LHBS store) made OK beer but made more than my sare of mistakes, looking back I'm appalled I actually let people drink the swill I made!

Got serious back into brewing a little over a year ago. Started back with extract beers, focused on controlling the process including fermentation temp control and good record keeping. Then started looking at larger batch, all electric BIAB. About the time I started buying/putting this new system together my brew partner moved.

So... the rig is built and I keep tweaking the rig so I - as a one-armed man - can brew entirely by myself from start to finish. I have, but it was a challenge and am still looking to make a few changes so that can be done easily. More complicated but simpler for a "physically challenged" (my wife would deny that, but rather insist I am morally dyslexic" for sure!) person.

Beers... really about perfecting my APA and IPA recipes but still want to experiment a bit with other styles, esp. porters and stouts to have some "cellar" beers that I can enjoy when I want one. My wife's family are from the Caffrey clan - grand parents directly from Ireland, so I want to find a GOOD old Caffrey beer recipe as well.

Just starting to dabble into water chemistry.... Dang I read this and I sound like a NEW brewer again!!

I've come full circle in the now 26 years of on and off brewing.
I started off brewing english and simple american pales while in college. Rode the hop Rollercoaster of the 90's till last year brewing some envelope pushing fantastic beers, rustic, sours, etc and loved every one and rhe process
Lately, I'm seeing my self going back to my beginnings. Nothimg better than producing a great pale or lager where no flaws can be hidden by hops or malt.

When I first began brewing is was to see if I could make something drinkable. That was my goal. I began with extract kits like most people and did this for years without ever having a bad beer as a result. Then I took a long break of 7-8 years after changing jobs and wives (lol!!). When I got back into it I used kits for a couple years.

Then, while researching all grain I read a great quote... "With extract you can make really good beer. With all grain you can craft excellent beer!" I was sold by that quote!

I began all grain brewing trying other's recipes and dialing in my equipment, all while absorbing every scrap of info I could find on HBT. Now I have gotten better and crafting recipes and brew mainly to keep my house pipeline full while straying beyond my comfort zone occasionally as well.

The biggest change I guess would be quality and consistency. To quote a great coach (John Wooden), "Do not mistake activity for achievement. Practice the RIGHT way."

I haven't actually changed a lot in the 2 years or so.
I certainly got better, faster and removed any useless and overcomplicated stuff.

I got a few small pieces of bottling gear to make that side easier, but my brewing side is still the same basic biab.
Style wise, my main beers are still smash beers, mostly with munich or vienna based, with some season specials, wit for summer, pumpkin beers and stouts in autumn and belgian and porter in winter.

Back