How does this water look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
Anything out of order or need a boost? I finally got good results from a local springwater distributor that delivers to the house: 25 gallons a month for $27. If this water is decent and doesnt require much, I may order it.

Bicarbonate 140.0
Chloride 11.0
Fluoride 0.2
Sulfate 8.0
Calcium 58.0
Magnesium 3.9
Potassium 0.2
Sodium 5.1
TDS 185.0
pH 7.7

I'd brew with it, if I knew it was chlorine- and chloramine-free. Keep some gypsum around for pale ales. Pretty steep for freakin' water though.

If you're paying that for water, than I'd hope it would be EXACTLY what you need. Since you'd need to add salts and buffers for some brews anyway, it might just be cheaper to use tap water.

If you're paying that for water, than I'd hope it would be EXACTLY what you need. Since you'd need to add salts and buffers for some brews anyway, it might just be cheaper to use tap water.

not my city water. its not good to drink from what i have been reading

Yes you can add salts. But because the water is already fairly hard there is not much room for more salts until their elevated levels may impact the flavor negatively.

Adding acids is another option. By doing that you can get the residual alkalinity down w/o adding more calcium for example.

But keep in mind that you are paying for that water and if you want to pay for brew water you would be better off buying reverse osmosis water. With that you can add salts to get almost any water profile you want.

Kai

I am not sure if you have access to a Publix in your area... but, if you do look for a glacier water dispenser where you can get RO water for $0.30/gallon which would save you quite a bit of money, and make your brewing salt additions much more straight forward!

I am not sure if you have access to a Publix in your area... but, if you do look for a glacier water dispenser where you can get RO water for $0.30/gallon which would save you quite a bit of money, and make your brewing salt additions much more straight forward!

you know, I have seen those before. I didnt think about those. Does Publix sell any kind of 5g bottle to put the water in or do I need so save a bunch of empty 1g bottles?

Around here... the maximum size that will fit in those machines is a 3 gallon container as far as I know. But, yes, I think they have containers that you can rent from them if you don't have any 3 gallon containers.

Around here... the maximum size that will fit in those machines is a 3 gallon container as far as I know.

My 7-gallon buckets fit in the Glacier machines around here (and TX, FWIW).

You have to flip up the shelf.;)

Latest posts

Back