how does this sound for my 100% brett b apricot pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepsouth

Reaction score
ok, so here is my preliminary recipe..... the beer is to serve at emerald coast beer festival and will be bottled. the festival is september 7th, so i have several weeks.

i made a starter and let it settle and decanted and added more wort and put it on the stir starter again, overnight. hopefully this will give me enough brett to complete fermentation

i plan on adding the apricot puree after three weeks. will this bump up the alcohol? if it does, i plan on backing off the amount of malt extract in the boil.

does that sound like a good time to add the apricot? would you add it into the primary or rack it to secondary and add it there?

any tips would be appreciated.

Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

6 lbs 8.0 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 1 100.0 %
0.10 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 3.1 IBUs
0.10 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 3.9 IBUs
0.10 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 4.0 IBUs
0.15 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 3.5 IBUs
0.15 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 4.6 IBUs
0.15 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 4.6 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 4.6 IBUs
0.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 5.9 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 6.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Brettanomyces Bruxellensis (White Labs #WLP650) [50.28 ml]

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 40.2 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 3.4 SRM

thanks in advance.

i brewed this today with the exception of two pounds less extra light dme and plus two pound pils dme. six hours in, the beer is doing this.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know how you make out with the Brett. I'm getting ready to do an all Brett beer as well. I plan on making 2 starters. One with Brett b the other with Brett l then pitching them at the same time. I've never done this so I'm curious how long the fermentation will be.

Let me know how you make out with the Brett. I'm getting ready to do an all Brett beer as well. I plan on making 2 starters. One with Brett b the other with Brett l then pitching them at the same time. I've never done this so I'm curious how long the fermentation will be.

for sure. i'll update this thread.

there is always brett in the air it it a wild yeast and in order to capture it has to be. i am also confused about what you mean by this.

I wouldn't worry about brett in the air unless you use an open fermenter for your other beers :D

When the beer is done, I'd probably do a REALLY good job with sanitation on the fermenter. I'd bleach everything. I've never done a all-brett beer. I guess I'll put that on the list. Good luck OP!

I've brewed a couple brett b beers. My advice is to underpitch, a lot. Hopefully it's not too late for you to see this.

Brett B only gives noticeable flavor when it is stressed. When I have pitched normal amounts, I have not gotten any brett flavor.

I've brewed a couple brett b beers. My advice is to underpitch, a lot. Hopefully it's not too late for you to see this.

Brett B only gives noticeable flavor when it is stressed. When I have pitched normal amounts, I have not gotten any brett flavor.

i'm not sure if i underpitched or not. i had a white labs vial with what seemed like a super small amount, so i made a starter. after about six days, i decanted and added a bit more wort and put it back on the stir plate overnight.

in light of that and your information, i hope i underpitched.

I wouldn't worry about brett in the air unless you use an open fermenter for your other beers :D

When the beer is done, I'd probably do a REALLY good job with sanitation on the fermenter. I'd bleach everything. I've never done a all-brett beer. I guess I'll put that on the list. Good luck OP!

thanks! i do have separate equipment that i'm using for these type beers.

so far, so good on this. great actually. i have not added the apricot puree yet as i'm going to add that to secondary. this sunday will be three weeks on the brett b and the base beer is better than i expected it to be. the first sample/gravity reading was overyly hoppy and a bit sweet, but after another week, the over-hoppiness had subsided and i'm getting a very nice, clean pale ale taste, yet the brett b is detectible. i wouldn't describe it as overly funky, but some barnyard is there.

i added the apricot puree a couple days ago and sampled today. really turned out excellent. nice brett character and the apricot comes through nicely.

i'd consider this among my most successful beers and i'll be brewing this again.

i'm not sure if i underpitched or not. i had a white labs vial with what seemed like a super small amount, so i made a starter. after about six days, i decanted and added a bit more wort and put it back on the stir plate overnight.

in light of that and your information, i hope i underpitched.

Please disregard that. I listened to a podcast with Crooked Stave recently. You want to pitch at sacc pitching rates. It is temperature that contributes to extra flavor. Mid 70s is the way to go for brett b.

Back