How does this recipe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's way too much crystal malt, so I'd cut that in half.

I'd change the hopping a bit- warrior isn't really great later in the boil, but it's fine for the 60 minute bittering hop. I'd just leave out that .5 ounce of warrior at 20 minutes.

Otherwise, I think you'd have a really solid beer there that would showcase the galaxy hops.

Yes. I typically go with at least 3 ounces on an IPA for a 5 gallon batch. An IPA is associated with a lot of hop aroma. You can't get that without hops. 4 days is a good schedule to dry hop though.

Yes. I typically go with at least 3 ounces on an IPA for a 5 gallon batch. An IPA is associated with a lot of hop aroma. You can't get that without hops. 4 days is a good schedule to dry hop though.

Cool I upped it. Do you think 2 ounces with five mins left is a good number of should I adjust that too?

Cool I upped it. Do you think 2 ounces with five mins left is a good number of should I adjust that too?

2 should be ok but I'd through them in at FO and do a hop stand for 30 minutes. Whirlpool hopping is an easy technique that will increase the flavor and aroma you get from those late additions without the overbearing bitterness of the same amount in the boil. you can even adjust what temperature you through them in at to preserve certain volatile flavor and aroma compounds while limiting the isomerization of AA but start with flame out to get a feel for the flavor/bitterness from the amount of hops
and time you use.

Side question, why are your two 007 hops have different AA%? Just curious.

I mistyped when entering them. I'll fix that later thanks! And interesting I'll try whirlpooling them! Thanks for the suggestions!

Let me know how it comes out. Im planning a single hop beer with Idaho 7 soon. I will be making 10 gallons using 15 IBU worth of hopshot at 60 min, then 2 oz idaho 7 at 15 min left in boil and another 4 oz in whirlpool at about 185. 4 oz dry hop.

Back