How do you transfer from catalyst fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don_bran321

Reaction score
So I've had this fermenter for about a year and a half now and I mostly make IPAs so no secondary for me. I can't seem to come up with a very gouda solution for kegging from it without getting trub in through the bottling port since it always settles on the conical. I thought about auto siphoning but would like to try and avoid that and possibly close transfer if possible.... any ideas?

I drop the trub a couple times during ferment so there is no trub when I keg. I have a series of smaller Mason jars to attach so I don't waste the beer. My last Mason jar is filled will disolved gelatin for fining and since it is filled with liquid before attaching, it limits O2 introduced to solution.

I drop the trub a couple times during ferment so there is no trub when I keg. I have a series of smaller Mason jars to attach so I don't waste the beer. My last Mason jar is filled will disolved gelatin for fining and since it is filled with liquid before attaching, it limits O2 introduced to solution.
never any problems with oxidation with all that head space and no yeast?

never any problems with oxidation with all that head space and no yeast?

The headspace might be a minor problem, the yeast is not. There are millions if not billions of yeast cells in suspension.

Do you really think that is expensive for a nice SS valve and dip tube for a limited customer base? I don't think it is excessively expensive even if everyone could use it.

Dump the trub then transfer. It would not be much different from siphoning out of a carboy. Which is probably the most common way.

The headspace might be a minor problem, the yeast is not. There are millions if not billions of yeast cells in suspension.

Do you really think that is expensive for a nice SS valve and dip tube for a limited customer base? I don't think it is excessively expensive even if everyone could use it.

Dump the trub then transfer. It would not be much different from siphoning out of a carboy. Which is probably the most common way.
The only reason I day it's more expensive than it should be is because half the reason I bought the fermenter on Kickstarter is because there was supposed to be no need to use a sample port. all the trub was supposed to fall into the jar but it never does. design flaw so they should have given this to us for free or at major discount

The only reason I day it's more expensive than it should be is because half the reason I bought the fermenter on Kickstarter is because there was supposed to be no need to use a sample port. all the trub was supposed to fall into the jar but it never does. design flaw so they should have given this to us for free or at major discount

Our Trub TrapTM is compatible with any wide mouth jar to eliminate transfers.

Are you using a large enough jar? Are you transferring too much gunk into the fermenter? Are you emptying the jar more than once? I don't think it is a design flaw or that they owe anything.

Our Trub TrapTM is compatible with any wide mouth jar to eliminate transfers.

Are you using a large enough jar? Are you transferring too much gunk into the fermenter? Are you emptying the jar more than once? I don't think it is a design flaw or that they owe anything.
I use the largest Mason jar you can find I'm not sure of how manu Oz it is.

I think you misunderstood what the issue here was. The trub doesn't fall into the jar. it sits on the conical because the angle is not steep enough.

If you read the reviews on Northern Brewers website you will see that many people experience this issue not just myself which makes it a design flaw. along with the gasket on the lid.

I never said they owed me anything. I just said i felt like it should be cheaper to those who backed it's production to begin with. The fermenter is $200 the new ball valve and dip tube is $30... That's 15% of the original cost of the fermenter. I could buy almost a whole new fermenter for that price.

I think you misunderstood what the issue here was. The trub doesn't fall into the jar. it sits on the conical because the angle is not steep enough.

Ah, I see. In re reading your initial post I now understand the problem. It was not immediately clear to someone who has never used one. I thought you were indicating that the trub filled the jar and the bottom of the fermenter past the racking port.

Update: In case anyone who has a catalyst was wondering if it was possible to closed transfer the answer is yes. This way I just put the racking can slightly above the trub and no more worries about getting it in the keg. Gotta be careful of placement and pressure. (you will see the plastic lid start to bend) but it works great!
20180605_181735.jpeg

Back