How do you set frig/freezer at 26 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerChiller

Reaction score
Looking for advice for controlling the temperature of a freezer. Want my freezer to hold at temperatures between 24 degrees and 33 degrees, depending on what type of beer bottles I'm chilling. A poor man's "Beer Chiller" is what I want to make. Refrigerators only chill to 33 degrees, not cold enough. Freezers hold temps near Zero degrees, to cold. Basically want to install a " Ranco ETC-111000-000 Prewired Digital Temperature Controller" and have the temp. "sensor" of this controller maintain the freezer temperature between 26 and 33 degrees. The freezer temp. sensor should not be able to work.
How can I disable the temp. sensor in a freezer so an external controller with a temp sensor in the freezer controls the temperature between 24 and 33 degrees?

You don't need to disable it. The ranco supplies power to the freezer and will kill power to the entire freezer when you reach the set temperature. When it warms up it powers it on until you reach the cold setting then it's off again. Just plug it in and go.

The temp sensor in the fridge will stop cooling before the ranco turns it off. That's if the lowest the unit will go is 33. You need to look at the wiring schematics for your particular unit. It depends on how it was wired. Most units are not to difficult to figure out since they have a small schematic on it somewhere.

Back