How do you pick what you are brewing, and a name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
So last weekend, first brew was started, and I named it Fool's Stout, since it was started on April Fools Day. I am going to on sunday again, get batch #2 going, and was thinking of naming it something easter-ish.

Other than that, do you really plan ahead to brew a seasonal beer or what? And then, how do you guys come up with what to name it....does it just come to you in a dream or what?

I usually pick my next brew based on:

Season
A recently quaffed commercial brew that stood out to me
A style I like (porters are a recent favorite)

I name my beers with a play on words with a commercial beer name, a brewing mishap, or a festive seasonal pun.

All the beers I have going right now are being brewed for their end-time uses...

A Cerveza for July 4, a Marzen for Oktober, and an IPA (just generally for summer).

The next one is for an xmas party we have, a super malty, high alcohol, so dark it's off the scale, beer you can chew (we're calling it the winter nightcap). It'll be able to mellow all summer and fall this way - and if we screw it up, plenty of time to re-brew.

I usually try to alternate between something hoppy (IPAs and pale ales) with something that's more balanced or malt-focused. Something I prefer, then something that SWMBO prefers. As to the names, almost all of mine are in some way a Tom Waits reference. Occasionally something will happen during the brewday that suggests the name (Dope-Slap Brown was from when I forgot to turn off the propane burner before attempting to chill the wort). Oftentimes, I'll get the name before the recipe; I've been wanting to formulate Double Murder for quite some time now, and it took me four or five months to finally figure out what would be in Murder In The Red Barn.

Since we just started in December, we haven't really set a pattern for choosing what to brew.

I love bocks and porters, so those were the first two since the brewing kit was "my" birthday present.

Then ill.literate wanted an IPA and I wanted a red, those were next, the red being brewed on St. Pat's day and our first AG.

We both wanted a brown ale and that was the last. We were thinking of summer/autumn drinking when deciding on the last few.

As far as names, they're things that are meaningful to us, a play on words, or a joke i.e.

Primary: No Foolin Bells Best Brown Clone
Brewed on April Fool's Day
and
Not Tonight Baby Oatmeal Stout
because he always turns me down ;)

I pick a style that I anticipate being in the mood for...or a brew that I can't get locally...names? Personally, I don't bother with names.

I roughly alternate: every second or third batch is something from the bitter/PA/IPA family. The others rotate seasonally or are just things I want to try.

I geberally don't bother even attempting to give my beers clever names.

In my line of work, I need to come up with titles for things. I find that hard enough.

I brew whatever I feel like making at the time based on the available ingredients. As far as names go, I usually keep it simple, and include the style in the name. Then again, I'm also the same guy that labels his beer on the crowns with a sharpie and initials.:rolleyes:

I brew seasonally. Porters, stouts and darker/heavier beers for winter and light beers like pils, Kolsch, wheat, pale ales for summer.

I name my beers only when a name comes to me. I don't actively think of names. It has to just come to me. My first named beer was two years ago, my father-in-law passed away and I had a batch that didn't get tended to in a while - it became, Dead Dad Ale (my wife whole heartedly approved). Then I had the WTF stout - a series of WTF moments went into that one. The 1-800 FU Kolsch after having problems with Verizon on brew day. Right now I'm serving my Wintery Mix oatmeal Porter - based on brewday weather. This weekend I will tap my Cat Paw Pilsner - one of our cats was VERY interested in the bowl of milled grain on the floor. Only one paw made it into the bowl. I knew what was on his mind! My current Bock and Scotch Ale have no name

98EXL said:
So last weekend, first brew was started, and I named it Fool's Stout, since it was started on April Fools Day. I am going to on sunday again, get batch #2 going, and was thinking of naming it something easter-ish.

Other than that, do you really plan ahead to brew a seasonal beer or what? And then, how do you guys come up with what to name it....does it just come to you in a dream or what?
Palm Sunday Porter...Resurrection Stout...:confused:

you guys are all funny, but I guess I was hoping to name stuff on brew day. But waiting till the name comes to you could be hella more funny

Mostly I brew styles that are hard to find in the PNW: which is to say < 6% ABV and no Cascades. Sometimes, I cruise the kit lists on various websites looking for a grabber.

The names for my own brews tend to suggest themselves: Old Bog Water barleywine had way too much peat-smoked barley in it, Church of Chocolate Brown derives from a running joke, Revenge is a blackberry cider best served cold. [If you've ever picked blackberries, you'd understand that one.] Bent Rod Rye is a broken lawnmower beer. Stiffy was named by guzzlesboy's GF. I didn't ask for the details.

Back