How do you measure a gallon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Sounds corny, but I'm trying to find the reason I am frequently off (short) 0.5 gallon on my ag brews final wort volume.

Measured out 4 quarts in a large pyrex (1 gallon) and it doesn't come close to the top of a 1 gallon cider jug. So, something is off.

i there a mark on the jug where your measured volume filled to? i'd sure trust a pyrex over a cider jug anyway. mark the jug where it makes a gallon then proceed to fill your boil vessel marking with a sharpie or scratching the mark in at convinient volumes.ie 3.5g 4g 4.5g 5g 5.5g etc

I have a 2 qt water picther that is pre-marked at various levels. 4 qts (2 pitchers) is a gallon. Bought it at a grocery store for a couple bucks.

Sounds corny, but I'm trying to find the reason I am frequently off (short) 0.5 gallon on my ag brews final wort volume.

Measured out 4 quarts in a large pyrex (1 gallon) and it doesn't come close to the top of a 1 gallon cider jug. So, something is off.

I dont know about your jugs but when i measured out my 1 gal jugs one gal of water would come right tot the bottom of the letters that said 1 gallon around the top, total vol I would guess is around 1 gal + 1 pint. hope this helps dont know if yours has the letters also.

Back