How do you get O2 in your wort before pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you get O2 in your wort?

• With O2 bottle

• Shaking

• pouring

• you don't.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I pour, but I use the bung with a hose and clamp it to the top of my fermenter and let it slowly drain in. I get a lot of foam.

Seem like its doing a good job.

I've been thinking about this lately...when I was extract brewing I never bothered because my boils were only 2-3gal and I'd top up with tap water, which I figured brought in enough oxygen to take care of it. Now with AG that I'm doing full boils I've been thinking about trying to actively aerate...although so far I've just stirred the crap out of the wort after chilling in an attempt to whirlpool, then siphoned or drained into the primary and haven't had any problems. It might be an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of thing for me.

I pour and stir depending... The last one I did, I did the stir and pour, but the temp wasn't low enough so I had to let it sit for a day or so before pitching. When I did I stirred again just to be sure there was some oxygen for the yeast to use.

Did the pouring method for years, recently switched to pure O2 w/ aeration stone to see if there is any difference in flavor of the finished product. Results are still pending.

I mostly use dry yeast and you don't have to aerate it. I still let it spash around while I fill my fermenter, but I don't do anything else.

I ferment in a corny keg so my procedure is a slightly different. I have a o2 tank that I have connected to a liquid (black) ball lock connector. I set the o2 tank to 2L/M and connect the ball lock to the post, so the o2 goes down the dip tube and bubbles up. I let it do that for 2 minutes so its nice and pressurized, disconnect the ball lock, shake it a little, then leave it pressurized til I pitch the yeast so even more o2 is forced in the solution. This all makes it really easy as there is really nothing extra to clean and fermentation usually takes off quickly

I pour it back and forth 3-4 times. I do it outside so a little splashing isn't an issue. So far (knock on wood) I haven't spilled a batch.

I have done it all. Currently I've evolved to an inline aeration set up. It's a 500micron stone with 1/2" mpt attached to the out port of my therminator chiller. I have an industrial oxygen tank (I got tired of buying the disposable ones for $10 every few brews) I run the oxygen full blast for 1gal per 5.

I'm working on building a bcs control panel. My goal is to attach the oxygen to an electric ball valve, so no can turn it on/off with the control panel.

I put shaking but normally it aerates as it pours into the fermenters from my chiller and then I shake it. For higher gravity brews I sometimes break out my O2 stone but I usually feel too lazy to want to sanitize it.

I do the pour and shake - the pour works best for me, though. I use starters as well and give those a shake every hour or so.

I have done it all. Currently I've evolved to an inline aeration set up. It's a 500micron stone with 1/2" mpt attached to the out port of my therminator chiller. I have an industrial oxygen tank (I got tired of buying the disposable ones for $10 every few brews) I run the oxygen full blast for 1gal per 5.

I'm working on building a bcs control panel. My goal is to attach the oxygen to an electric ball valve, so no can turn it on/off with the control panel.

you are using way too much if you run out of o2 with just a few batches. The 10$ o2 tank from home depot lasts me a good 8-10 batches.

you are using way too much if you run out of o2 with just a few batches. The 10$ o2 tank from home depot lasts me a good 8-10 batches.

That's about right... However my large oxygen tank lasts damn near forever and only cost $10 to fill. I'm no longer wasting cylinders and gas/time buying them. I'm also no longer spending $1/batch. Now I'm paying cents per batch and fill it far far less... So ya fuel/time/swapping It all adds up, and it's the same reason I only dispense with a 5lb co2 tank. Everything else (carbonating etc...) is done with a 20lb co2 tank.

I oxygenate my wort AFTER I pitch my yeast. I use an oxygen stone & O2 tank from HD. I sanitize w StarSan before use and also purge the stone in StarSan after use. I keep the stone in a zip lock bag and avoid handling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's about right... However my large oxygen tank lasts damn near forever and only cost $10 to fill. I'm no longer wasting cylinders and gas/time buying them. I'm also no longer spending $1/batch. Now I'm paying cents per batch and fill it far far less... So ya fuel/time/swapping It all adds up, and it's the same reason I only dispense with a 5lb co2 tank. Everything else (carbonating etc...) is done with a 20lb co2 tank.

Well.... i guess you win. :mug:

Well.... i guess you win. :mug:

Considering I paid $7 for the tank WITH the regulator, ya... I did win! Better yet, I am selling my old regulator and stone set up for more than I paid to replace it. Double win... I love Craig's list.

image.jpg

I use an aquarium pump with a HEPA filter and a 0.5 micron stainless “stone”. Works good for me.

I use an aquarium pump with a HEPA filter and a 0.5 micron stainless “stone”. Works good for me.

Me two ;)

I can't imagine having better fermentations than I do using this method. I rigged the stone on a tube to the bottom of an aluminum rod and insert it all the way down to the bottom of the carboy, and let the pump run for 30 minutes. I always use fermcap before this to keep the foaming to a minimum.

I'm switching to 1/2 BBL stainless conicals for fermenting now so I'll have to figure something else out for that.

I'd like to switch to O2 because it would be so much faster.

How long do you O2 guys aerate a 5 gallon batch for?

My boil kettle has a spigot on the bottom so I usually position my bucket under the spigot and my kettle on an old coffee table. Open the spigot and a nice little 3ish foot drop to the bottom of the bucket. Lots of splashing, lots of foam.

I know its not ideal, but I'm cheap, if I ever start entering beers for the higher ABV styles I'll look at O2 with a stone. For smaller beers I know the numbers say that I'm not oxygenating enough, but so far my lower gravity beers don't seem to get the off flavors associated with stressed yeast (from lack of oxygen at the start).

I've been using an electric hand mixer. Anyone else? Any recommendations on duration or settings?

I chose "Shaking" for the poll, but I do a combination. I dump the wort into the fermenting bucket, through a colander, then seal it all up and shake/slosh it, then pitch my yeast.

So both shaking and pouring.

Latest posts

Back