How do you finish your wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I pretty much treat jackkeller.net like the wine making bible. That said I don't think he does a good job about on explaining finishing wine. If you look through the whole site some stuff contradicts at times.

So what does everyone do to finish their wine? Hints, links, suggestions?

finishing as in the space between end of fermentation and bottling?

{END FERMENTATION}
1) add 1 campden tablet and 1/2 tsp sorbate per gallon by dissolving in a bit of the wine then racking on top of it.
2) air lock again and let it sit a few days to make sure it doesn't start fermenting again and to allow some of the sulfur smell to air off.
{BOTTLE}

I don't do anything to finish the wine. I don't sweeten most of my wines, so I don't add sorbate.

I just let it finish, and rack every 60 days or so until no new lees drop and it's clear enough to read a newspaper through. After that, I let it sit until I get around to bottling it. I usually bottle wines that are 10-15 months old, but sometimes I don't get around to it for longer.

Latest posts

Back