How do you dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHulen

Reaction score
About to dry hop for the first time. What’s the best way? Loose, or in a bag? My biggest concern is clarity. If I can put them in loose without effecting the clarity I’ll do that. I cold crash for 2 days before I keg.

5 gallon paint bag sold at lowes HD wherever. It fills the entire bucket so they you get good contact with the beer...and no hop crud in the yeast cake.

Thats if you use a bucket

Unrestricted, dropped in loose through my 1" access port I drilled into my bucket lids. While doing that, CO2 is streaming in through the airlock stem creating a gentle counterflow into which I add the hops. That way no air/oxygen can get in.

I give them a gentle stir 2x a day with the back end of a long plastic brew spoon. Again, against a gentle CO2 counterflow.

Unrestricted, dropped in loose through my 1" access port I drilled into my bucket lids. While doing that, CO2 is streaming in through the airlock stem creating a gentle counterflow into which I add the hops. That way no air/oxygen can get in.

I give them a gentle stir 2x a day with the back end of a long plastic brew spoon. Again, against a gentle CO2 counterflow.

How long does it take to drop out?

Free swimming pellets in the carboys here. Cold crashed to the bottom and racked off using an ss cane with nylon mesh and a large ss washer rubber-banded to the business end to keep any random pellet fragments out of the keg...

Cheers!

Free swimming pellets in the carboys here. Cold crashed to the bottom and racked off using an ss cane with nylon mesh and a large ss washer rubber-banded to the business end to keep any random pellet fragments out of the keg...

Cheers!

Are you doing a zero or low oxygen xfer from carboy?

Totally. Imo it's right behind sanitation wrt cold side importance. I actually finish my dry hopping with ~0.4psi CO2 top-pressure on the fermentors (example, the Julius batch in the left chamber) then do a cautious CO2-push through purged lines to Star San purged kegs...

galaxy3.jpg

Cheers!

The big question is can you cold crash . If the answer is no then bagging has been my best experience. I cant wait to be able to cold crash . Paint strainer bags work really well . I'm looking forward to see the difference of commando to bagging. Either way if your dry hopping you've almost got beer ready to drink:yes:

Day tripper I noticed you had wood inside your kegerator. How long have you had it in there ? It looks nice . I need to make a bracket to hang my secondary regulator but was afraid the wood would get nasty.

Oh my...hang on (digs through brewery image archives ordered by date)...

2010. So, going on nine years now.

It's all cheap chinese 3/4" birch veneered plywood leftovers from various projects.
One stark difference between using fridges vs freezers for fermentation: the former are hella better at managing humidity than the latter. That wood would be black in a keezer in fairly short order...

Cheers!

Oh my...hang on (digs through brewery image archives ordered by date)...

2010. So, going on nine years now.

It's all cheap chinese 3/4" birch veneered plywood leftovers from various projects.
One stark difference between using fridges vs freezers for fermentation: the former are hella better at managing humidity than the latter. That wood would be black in a keezer in fairly short order...

Cheers!

Lol dang , awesome ty

wrt how long does it take to crash pellet mush: it takes my 17cf fridges ~36 hours to drop 10 gallons from ~68°F to ~34°F, and I always try to keg after 48 hours as I don't believe in protracted crashing when I'm going to cold-condition on gas for a couple of weeks anyway.

But, the pellet mush actually hits the bottom within the first ~16 hours, somewhere around 48°F...

Cheers!

I toss them loose into the bucket. Five days soak and then keg. No cold crashing, just a sanitized hop bag tied over the outfeed to catch small amount of hop residue. Works really well and there's nothing to it. That said, when I do DH, it's only 1-2 ounces max.

Last edited:
Back